• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Something cheaper as a second.

It's my birthday in June, and I am thinking of getting either an FG or a Carson buggy as a second petrol to my Baja, in case anything was to go wrong.

Really love the look of the Carson Attack, but what's peoples opinions?

And they seem to be very few and far between, does this make them pricey?

What would people suggest?

Was looking at getting a 1/8th petrol but so many delays on actually releasing them, never know when they might actually come out :lol:

Most of the FG clones make decent bashers,

The Smartech, Carson, HobbyPro, and a fair few others are all made by the same company.

An off shoot of that company make the FTX Punisher

We've had most of them, and apart from the usual servo issues, it's difficult to tell them apart.

My lads first petrol was a Carson attack, and it's currently on about it's 4th owner after him and currently in the for sale section being broken for spares.

So they hold up quite well.

They come up on offer quite often new too http://rc-car-online-shop.de/shop/en/products/mai_2012_01-smartech-uno-1-6-offroad-buggy-28cc-engine-2-4-ghz-radio-control-1-pce-offer-05-12.html

Most of the FG clones make decent bashers,

The Smartech, Carson, HobbyPro, and a fair few others are all made by the same company.

An off shoot of that company make the FTX Punisher

We've had most of them, and apart from the usual servo issues, it's difficult to tell them apart.

My lads first petrol was a Carson attack, and it's currently on about it's 4th owner after him and currently in the for sale section being broken for spares.

So they hold up quite well.

They come up on offer quite often new too http://rc-car-online...ffer-05-12.html

I'd probably buy new servos for it anyway, or at least a good throttle one.

I didn't know you could even still get them brand new :lol: think I'd want one out of the UK, save on a high postage cost and also time of it arriving.

3 days delivery via DHL from those guys, we used to use them all the time when we had FG's

Europe so no hidden import duty etc.

Even delivery is reasonable.

379,05 Shipped ;) Euro's

Around

Edited by toys4x4boys

Don't forget you can mug someone on ebay and sell them the stock steering and throttle servo's to get some cash back

So even fitting a 5765 for steering and a decent 'power' servo for throttle you'd be closer to

Didn't factor in the price of a killswitch either, radio gear isn't an issue as I just need to buy another receiver for my Flysky and that would do fine.

Of I had a rwd buggy and wanted a second car I'd go for a 4wd But that's me

I'll try anything really, as long as it's got reasonable reviews, and doesn't cost the Earth.

Yup...well...I sort of still have it.

It became the yellow Sandrail in my sig. Got FG engine mounts and gear carrier, FG gears and quite a few other bits replaced with custom....but it's still using the Smartech layshaft, diff, rear suspension arms etc. and they are still going strong.

Had a few layshaft issues with the grubscrews coming loose....but once I cured it...that was all good. The shoks are not as good as FG ones and managed to be both hard and bouncy at the same time....so the rail ended up with MCD shocks on the rear which were lovely.

To be honest....I have had just as many problems with an FG as with the Smartech.

The only real downside with the Smartech cars is the engine. They use a 3-bolt design which is very annoying as most headkits are 2 or 4 bolt. FTX are using the 28cc version I think ( could be wrong) so stock headkits ought to be easier to get now....but try getting a tuned one....

I swapped the motor out for a Zenoah bottom end and a 26cc headkit.