• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Smash savage xs build

smash

Yeah I was looking at the bell crank set as the I've found the stock set to be way to flexible.. Cheap mod too which is always a bonus..

You got a link to it mate?

They did have them on liquid rc, tower hobbies may have them, the toyz definitely do have them and I can personally recommend all three stores cos I've ordered from them..

Yeah i checked liquid rc and they dont have them :sly: i have ordered from liquid rc a few weeks ago and the postage price is AMAZING!! :sweeeet: 69p for a blade mcpx landing skid, HR diff cup joints for the savage xs and some springs for the savvy.

Think ill get them from the toyz :thumbsup:

Did you get your hr cups yet? No breakage like mine? Btw toads rc may have the hr steering set up too..

Edited by smash

Just a quick update, the only parts I'm waiting for now are the hub extenders, some cups arrived yesterday as well as my new esc, soldered the esc up and tested it out briefly.. This thing is definitely going in before the 3s is unleashed thing I'll sell my vapor esc and castle card :)

Hands up who likes extended axles? Great then let's begin :)

As you may have guessed my hot racing extended axle kit arrived today

02781cc2-8ce9-9fc8.jpg

Here's a walk through with pics

First up is removal of wheels and stock hex/pins, then for the front axles you must remove two screws each side that hold the c-hub assembly hinge pins in place, in order to remove the hinge pins you will need a pointed tool like this..

02781cc2-8e51-5d6a.jpg

Push the pins out with the tool and remove the old axle, then replace the old part with your shiny new standard hpi wheely king axle and 2 m5 washers on the outside of the axle carrier as shown..

0950e441.jpg

Then you need to put on the actual extenders, this is a little fiddly the first time, but once you have the nack it's easy, the pins are held in place by an o ring (time will tell if this is man enough long term) I slid the o ring over the round end of the extender first so as not to over stretch it then lined up the pin holes and put the pin in and it looks like this when complete..

86377515.jpg

Repeat the process for the other side :)

The rear fitting only requires one fastner to be undone, this is the upper arm retainer as shown below..

74a1f8c4.jpg

Repay the steps used for the front axles and then exhale..

074249da.jpg

Here's a shot of her with the 30mm extenders..

72982f5b.jpg

And here is a pic of the 50mm extenders..

2fd05575.jpg

I think they are silly wide and I'm pretty confident they it would take much abuse to destroy them, that said the 30mm set up seems very solid and I'll be testing it down the beach tomorrow, as I said earlier only time and use will show up any flaws in this mod, but it can be done with only a modest outlay :)

On a side note the wheel fasteners have no nylock in them so I recommend using some blue thread lock if you dont wish to lose your hardware..

• Like 1

This is a heads up about the hr fasteners on this kit, one word cheese :( when I took of the 50mm extenders and put the 30mm back one of the heads stripped, not down to me or my drivers as they are brand new, so to be on the safe side I dremeled flat head screw driver slots into them which works fine if not better :) like I said time will tell if they'll take any abuse but at least they won't be stuck on my truck :)

Edited by smash

Lol I'm doomed :) not even one pack on 2s and one of the axles failed not the hot racing parts either.. Check it out..

ac8d415b.jpg

Now maybe this is just one bad part so I'm gonna order another pair but if any more fail on 2s I'm gonna jack it in as a bad job..

Shame about the axle snapping.I wander if the tyres didnt help as sand paddles must grip alot on acceleration?The 30mil extentions look just rite.The 50mil look a little to wide to me.Looking forward to finding out how it all holds up :thumbsup: .

Gotta say that the axle is a bit of a weak point along with rear hub and front carrier rear hub splits and front carrier just cracks so by widening it out might be to much for them to take but a great idea if you can get it to work and one that i shall do if yours turns out OK i have CVD's on mine which has help stop them cups shattering you could use them then drill them out for the pin ????

thing is i want this to work because the handling is very good once its done, im thinking if i turn down the punch a bit and do a bit of home made hardening it may just pay off, reckon 3s is a pipe dream as it stands tho, btw doddy i wasnt running the paddles i was running the dirt paws on grass, with the extra width it was stuck like **** to a blanket on cornering..

Edited by smash

I have just ordered the hpi widening kit.I know its quite a bit more expensive but i like the look of it and it should be here in a few days.I will have to get 2 more axles tho as i only have the 2 at the moment.

well i have just cancelled the wheely king axles and drilled out the original ones, works a treat, think im gonna join you and get the hpi widening kit eventually just wanna do a bit of short term testing to make sure its worth doing first.. got a massive hangover :puke: but the beach is calling me so i reckon in a couple of hours or so i'll have something to report..

Btw Martin I have three wheely king axles goin begging if you want them cheap cheap, basically you can have them if you throw me some postage money.. :)

I have good news for a change, took the xs down to the beach and pumped 3 packs through her, no breakages with the stock axles that I drilled out today, well pleased, not pleased enough to rid me of my hangover mind..

small update, fitted and tested the hobbywing wp-sc8, 2 packs of 2s though it today, it's way more capable than the stock esc and i can see why so many people give it recommendations, temps were low even after some full beans running, virtually no cogging even at very low trigger pressure, motor topped out at about 55c, esc at about 35c and pack got to around 30c.. had the punch dialed to 75% which worked out very well and still gave the odd wheelie but was nice and controllable.. big grins!

Lol I'm doomed :) not even one pack on 2s and one of the axles failed not the hot racing parts either.. Check it out..

ac8d415b.jpg

Now maybe this is just one bad part so I'm gonna order another pair but if any more fail on 2s I'm gonna jack it in as a bad job..

I have done 6 of them in my firestorm flux , Hpi are sorting me out .... again . Apparently mine were heat treated to much . Unlucky man .

Been a busy boy but have chucked a few packs at the xs this weekend and can confirm combo of a hobbywing wp-sc8 and the stock motor is awesome, went do the beach and nearly came a cropper though as the sand paws kicked up so much sand that the fan in the sc8 stopped and the temp protection kicked in. The wide axle mod is performing well so much so that I pulled the trigger on the hpi kit as I'm not too happy with the quality of the hot racing fasteners and can't find suitable replacements for them.. Lesson learned there.. That being said the hot racing servo saver unit showed up today and seems outwardly to be a very decent bit of kit, bit of a ball ache to fit, but I'll give it a decent trial at the weekend. :)