• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Smash savage xs build

smash

You can fit these on the stock wheel shafts if you drill the pin hole out to 2mm and use blitz wheel hexes and pins but you have to use a couple of washers as a spacer theres a mod for it at one of the savage forums but cant remember which one its not hard to do

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/11711/

or these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Wheely-King-ALUM-WIDE-HEX-HUB-30-to-50mm-WK10W01-/200739749990?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ebd058066

They are the ones mdoddy linked to.If you dont want to drill out the stock axles you will need either wheely king or mt2 rear axles(which are the same).You shouldnt need any other hexes with these kits as they are the hexes.You will only need Blitz hexes if you are simply drilling the axle pin hole bigger to run the bigger pin.

looks like it could be a worthy experiment to me, will have to wait til next month now though as i've blown my rc wad right now.. cheers for the help..

looks like it could be a worthy experiment to me, will have to wait til next month now though as i've blown my rc wad right now.. cheers for the help..

Yeah i was going to give it a try but spent all my secret rc stash on a new MT4 and its should be here tomorrow!!! now i just got to find away of getting it past the wife she having her hair done so hopefully it will come while she's out if not i'll have to get her to make a day of it and go do some shopping or something

Looks like we are all skint :xd: .I wanted to get the widening kit this month but needed to get my full sized flux up and running for my holiday so the widening kit will have to wait until next month

Lol I'm a total hypocrite, ordered the cough 'hot racing' cough wheely king extenders tonight 20.60 ish all in from liquid rc.. Now to drill out the axles or not?? I'm thinking if the mod doesn't work out I may want to go back to stock, but I do have a couple of spare so I may buy another pair and just get the hs steel spinning.. ;)

should be around a week i reckon, still in two minds about the axles tho, from what iv'e read so far the wheely king axle fit is a little different and pushes the hex a little further out than the standard part as the pin aperture is offset more, this could prob be solved with a couple of really thin shims though so i need to weigh up what im gonna do, will have to wait til they get here really..

I have just checked the pins from the xs cmpared to the firestrom which is the same size as the wheely king and the stock hexes will fit the larger pin if thats any help to you but you'll still need to see how the widners fit as they replace the hexes

You are rite in the fact that the wheely king/mt2 rear axles have the pin further out.I fitted my mt2 rear axles to see and with the mt2 hex on i needed 3 washers to take up the space between the bearing and hex.I havent got the widening kit yet tho so gone back to stock until i have some cash next month i hope.

Yep, sold some bits on eBay tonight so I've ordered the wheely king axles, according to a thread on savage central the wheely king hex adapters have a deeper recess for the pin to sit in so the gap becomes less of an issue if you use those too, assumptions are a dangerous thing but I would hope the hr extension kit has the same deeper recess and only I small amount of shimming will be needed..

When it all comes get some pics up as i'm really tempted to do this mod and let us know your thoughts on how it performs and the total cost a parts list would be a nice touch lets hope it all goes like a breeze for you :thumbsup:

Will do mate, parts cost so far is 15.99 for the wheely king axles and 21.70 or so for the extenders, probably need to get some m5 shims but that will be pennies..

Should turn up this week, i have the axles, shims, new drive cups and centre dog bones, also some 3s packs and the idler/pinion kit to go with them, once the extenders arrive I'll be hitting it hard with a wrench hopefully the new parts wont get destroyed on their first outing.. Also got a hobbywing wp-sc8 in the post just incase the esc starts smoking ;)

Sounds like your nearly there i've got a SC8 on the shelf unopened just incase aswell great backup ESC and for the price you cant go wrong what 3s you using ?? was going to get the nano techs 4000mah 50c ones but heard they go puffy after about 20-30 charges i did get some 2s nano techs and they are fine had about 30 charges through them and they haven't puffed at all but then they are hard case ones

got some hpi 3800mah 30c packs from a howie in the for sales section, so i knew they'd pop straight in with no fuss, 50 quid for the pair, ran them in my carnage today, all good, loads of punch, reckon they make the xs insane off road as the carnage was barely controllable..

I finaly got to take mine out for another run yesterday afternoon.Its the first time i have ran it with the new gearing and badlands.i love these badlands.I was running on grass and when the battery was full it would wheelie from half throttle :thumbsup: .My ownly complaint was i wish my battery had lasted longer as i only took the one with me.Next on my list of to do's is either the HR or hpi widening kit,i will wait to hear how you get on smash.Then probably the HR ali steering bell crank set up then some shocks oh and a more powerfull steering servo.

Yeah I was looking at the bell crank set as the I've found the stock set to be way to flexible.. Cheap mod too which is always a bonus..

I like the way it runs bearings aswell.I was very tempted to order it this morning but a weeks holiday coming up so need my money but then again it depends on how many stellas i drink tonight and can resist the buy now button :yes: .