• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

my new pairs of shocks came today. I got the alloy bodied ones. I bought 2 front sets to complete the rear to front shock tower conversion. Here's how it turned out.

IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

My only gripe is that the shocks are blue. But as they are brand new and feel well built I don't want to strip the colour until I next rebuild them.

Edited by luke662

pretty cool! :thumbsup:

i really like the idea as i think the shorter tower and shorter shock should make the rear end a little bit stronger.

looking forward to hear good news on the handling of the car!

have u had a look at the drawings i sent you?

Yeah, they are really good. I'm going to print them out and use them as over lays when my lexan arrives. I sent you an email earlier apologizing for not thanking you sooner.

I figured out why the rear was taller. partly to mount the spoiler but also to allow for mounting holes that the wheelie bar bolt on to.

The shock tower mod obviously gets rid of these holes. The rear of the car does feel a lot more solid and its quite hard to get any flex out of the shock tower unlike the stock rear. I'm not going to be able to run it for a while now as i damaged the RX the other day so need to get it re-soldered.

I did another little "upgrade" today. Really anal stuff but I swapped out all the wheel nuts and the slipper clutch nuts for aluminum flange nuts. Cuts down on rotating mass a smidge. Maybe 3-4 grams.

Edited by luke662
  • Like 1

Just got some 0 offset rims with some HPI ground assault boots. Annoyingly they rub all over the place. If anyone is thinking of getting bigger wheels remember to get wheels that have an offset.

i had some 100mm diameter wheels on mine.

the main issues with mine was that they needed 5mm thick hubs and this made the wheel locknut just fit... i had to remove the washers!

My "carbon" battery strap turned up . I must say I'm very disappointed with it. It weighs the same as the stock strap and isn't even proper carbon. It is clearly fiber glass with the top and bottom having an incredibly thin layer of carbon over lay it. I bought it to stiffen up the chassis and complete the battery bar mod but the difference in rigidity to that of the stock is minimal.

In summation, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Finally i got around to taking the car out! It handles so much better (IMO) with the front to rear mod. It's not as tail happy so you can turn without spinning out all the time at high speed. The shocks are in perfect condition after jumping and smacking it about so there is no risk of damage there from what I have seen.

Annoyingly the front shocks are Mashed up. I landed a daft jump wrong and managed to bend both of the front shock shafts. peeved me some what given they were brand new but ho hum lesson learned. Now I have an excuse to strip the Blue off the front ones as i will have to rebuild them any way. The shock shafts are only about

Edited by luke662

I don't use mine on carpet but I have had a lot less roll since i put sways on it.

the mod I did to switch the rear shock tower and shocks for fronts also helped with keeping the rear from slipping out as much at high speed.

thanks what do you recomend in the way of gearing and how will it help ?

I just done Slipper shift revised up grade it does way with part ftx6272 where grub screw keep coming out.

well worth doing if not already done so :yes:

I have the upgrade to remove that part too, aparently. I bought the car 2nd hand and noticed it had a slightly different drive train to the spare parts car i had. I put it down to a revision between the brushed and brushless models or something.

I run with a 20t pinion. I find with buggy wheels it accelerates really well but doesn't have a daft top speed as stock does. It's rare you will get to a top speed like stock on a proper race track.

the 20t is also good for running some stadium truck (carnage) wheels. My motor is a 12t brushless though so it may be slightly different for you as i think RTR vantages come with a 9t.

Have a nosey through this thread as there may be some bits and pieces that help you out.

i found out about it as my son got the brushed version which had up grade fitted and my brushless version did not got both at same time

do i need to look for any think in particular as some told me they where pitched

my car got 23T pinion gear at moment and vantage dont do any others runnig 10.5t motor

• Like 1

I picked one up from freeprawn racing. They stock all of the upgrades and parts for FTX cars. The gents name escapes me but he was a really helpful chap and not just after my money he just wanted to help out.

Any way i digress, here is the link to the pinion i run.

http://www.freeprawnracing.co.uk/rw-racing-0.6-module-steel-pinions-9t-30t-rw0600.html

thanks for link

are you still useing the stock 65T spur gear

if i fit 20T pinion it has less top speed but better acelration out of corner. have always be confused by gearing

when try to work it out all goes wrong

do you know how i find Internal Ratio and what the Final Drive Ratio.means

I know that either the internal or final drive ratio is 8.3. It's mentioned on the CML site however i do not know how to use it to calculate speeds and such. Iv'e read the guides but its just all greek to me.

I still use the stock spur gear. It's a pretty tough spur given how cheap they are. I haven't managed to chomp one up yet.

If you fit the 20t then yes it will be faster on acceleration but slower on top speed. on tracks you are very rarely going at full pelt because of the corners and such so acceleration is generally better. I Find 20t to be a nice compromise for both.

do you know how i find Internal Ratio and what the Final Drive Ratio.means

The internal ratio is the gearbox's main gear divided by it's pinion gear. In the Vantage this is 38/13=2.92.

The final drive ratio is the spur / pinion * internal ratio = 65 / 20 * 2.92 = 9.49

The gents name escapes me but he was a really helpful chap and not just after my money he just wanted to help out.

That's Nigel, and you're spot on about him :thumbsup:

Also, this might be an interesting gear and top speed calculator

http://www.alphalanding.com/rc-track/gear-ratio-rpm-and-top-speed-calculation/

luke, i got my custom made rear shock towers today....

aint got time to fit them tonight but i'll be posting a couple of pictures when done.

being laser cut, they show a little bit of burn marks around the small holes.... but since they will be covered i dont mind!

need to find a mate who can use a waterjet cutting machine!!!

luke, i got my custom made rear shock towers today....

aint got time to fit them tonight but i'll be posting a couple of pictures when done.

being laser cut, they show a little bit of burn marks around the small holes.... but since they will be covered i dont mind!

need to find a mate who can use a waterjet cutting machine!!!

thats brilliant mate, It's be interesting to take a look at them and hear how they worked out. I still haven't made my lexan ones yet I'm waiting to see if i can get some one with access to a work shop to do it for me as a favour as i only have access to basic tools at the moment.

The internal ratio is the gearbox's main gear divided by it's pinion gear. In the Vantage this is 38/13=2.92.

The final drive ratio is the spur / pinion * internal ratio = 65 / 20 * 2.92 = 9.49

Result I always wondered that, cheers.