• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

Car turned up today, brand new, carnage roller I've wanted one of these for ages since I saw one in Apex last year.

Wasted no time in putting in s trackstar 1/10 80A esc with a 3560 kv motor, mounted a traxxas waterproof rx box & then got it outside for a quick blast to test!

Looks good so far, pretty fast on 2s, I'll maybe test it on 3s just for shows!

I'll try & get it to the woods tomorrow with the savage XS!

• Like 1

Hi,

Have been running and collecting old Tamiya cars for years and also raced with my TA05R. But just a few months ago picked up a FTX Vantage as a carpark/beach basher sort of to keep costs down. lol :(

As soon as it was removed from the box I could tell it had drivetrain binding issues and also steering binding issues. So diffs removed, cleaned down and rebuilt with decent Tamiya gear diff grease and a hobby knife for the steering has made a huge difference. Then onto the electronics, which I wasn't impressed with, so out they went and in their place came a Spektrum DX2E radio set along with a Speed Passion Reventon R ESC and 5.5R 7000KV motor. Also added a 8.4v 4300 nimh battery pack which was stripped and rebuilt and soldered using deans connectors and deans battery bars.

Then along came more blue bts in the form of blue alloy wheel nuts and 3 Racing Sakura 4mm blue alloy wheel clamp type hex hubs. 1 tin of white automotive paint and 8 coats later and the springs and anti rolls bars that I purchased were painted.

Tamiya DF03-MS wheels were added today and hopefully the remainder of my carbon items will arrive today so I can post up some pictures.

All in all, its a good overall chassis. The drivetrain seems to be able to handle the power of the 7000KV motor with the 8.4V battery pack just fine. Still on my original spur gear with no wear issues at all, albeit with a 19T Tamiya pinion ATM.

Anyways, hopefully I will get some pics up for you guys today. And also look forward to sharing/receiving info on ways to improve performance and reliability.

Many thanks

James

:)

Edited by insanejim69

Hi,

Have been running and collecting old Tamiya cars for years and also raced with my TA05R. But just a few months ago picked up a FTX Vantage as a carpark/beach basher sort of to keep costs down. lol :(

As soon as it was removed from the box I could tell it had drivetrain binding issues and also steering binding issues. So diffs removed, cleaned down and rebuilt with decent Tamiya gear diff grease and a hobby knife for the steering has made a huge difference. Then onto the electronics, which I wasn't impressed with, so out they went and in their place came a Spektrum DX2E radio set along with a Speed Passion Reventon R ESC and 5.5R 7000KV motor. Also added a 8.4v 4300 nimh battery pack which was stripped and rebuilt and soldered using deans connectors and deans battery bars.

Then along came more blue bts in the form of blue alloy wheel nuts and 3 Racing Sakura 4mm blue alloy wheel clamp type hex hubs. 1 tin of white automotive paint and 8 coats later and the springs and anti rolls bars that I purchased were painted.

Tamiya DF03-MS wheels were added today and hopefully the remainder of my carbon items will arrive today so I can post up some pictures.

All in all, its a good overall chassis. The drivetrain seems to be able to handle the power of the 7000KV motor with the 8.4V battery pack just fine. Still on my original spur gear with no wear issues at all, albeit with a 19T Tamiya pinion ATM.

Anyways, hopefully I will get some pics up for you guys today. And also look forward to sharing/receiving info on ways to improve performance and reliability.

Many thanks

James

get that tamiya pinion swopped out for a steel RW one mate, tamiya's soft metal will not last very long and will chew your spur.

also have you looked into lipo for run it? a 2s in there will be (i think) as fast as it is now but last a lot longer, more punch as well.

i dont think your motor will take a 3s tho, but hopefully someone can either say thats right or wrong lol

Hi everyone,

I am new to RC and i have bought a second hand Brushless vantage with some upgraded parts on it.  I just bought a carbon top plate to finish off my modifications for now but i have been having signal problems recently which i now think is being caused by a broken aerial wire.  However, when i fitted the top plate i just cable tied the aerial wire to the carbon but i have been told by a member of this forum that this causes interference.  So, my question is when you guys have fitted carbon top plates where did you mount the aerial tube and how?

Thanks 

Matt

No, I usually tape it to the side of the reciever with a small tube, so that it exits the body about an inch or so. Or if your unable to do that, just keep it away from touching any carbon fibre parts at all..

James

Well finally got almost everything sorted on the Vantage, eventually received the rear Tamiya DF03 MS wheels, so they are now attached with the FTX tyres glued to the rims.

Also found that a Tamiya TL01 antenna holder is perfect for using when the Carbon Top plate is fitted. :thumbsup:

Still undecided on a design for the body ? I was going to do an old school tamiya livery, Hotshot, Hornet, Frog or something ? Anyone have any ideas or suggestions.??

Thanks

James

Edited by insanejim69

They aren't actually made by FTX, but I'm not sure who does make them. There are a lot of similarities between the Vantage and the LRP Blast (which isn't made by LRP) so I'd guess the same people.

There was a previous FTX model (the Blaze 1/18th) which also had a related LRP model (the Shark). These were both made by Anderson Racing but they don't list a 1/10th car.

wow lots of info. iv just got one and what I have read the shock towers are weak,am I right in thinking carbon ones will help I know they stop flex as I got them on my truck and have made a mahosive improvement. what other bits can I change to help firm it up most of the buggy is stock apart from the sway bars. 

wow lots of info. iv just got one and what I have read the shock towers are weak,am I right in thinking carbon ones will help I know they stop flex as I got them on my truck and have made a mahosive improvement. what other bits can I change to help firm it up most of the buggy is stock apart from the sway bars. 

probably this is your best bet http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-upper-plate-carbon-vantage/rc-car-products/365808

keeps it nice and tight, id not bother with the carbon front the plastic ones are cheap enough to replace and the carbon ones can crack ive done 3 now :-(

hello this is my first post

i got given a brushless carnage for christmas and this morning took it out and snapped part of the chassis (where the rear suspension arm is connected) any tips or tricks for when i rebuild it. its my first ever Rc anything and it looks a bit daunting (having to replace all the components on the new chassis)

cheers in advance for the help  

@honeybadger yeah it broke at the pin on the chassis side 

does that mean i don't need a new chassis wil put up a pic in a bit am at work atm and they would not like me getting my car out during work hours.

Edited by Undead_Ichi