• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

Rhum, thosepolished stainless shock towers look awesome man!

Cheers!

What shocks are you running there, I've not seen any silver bodied ones like that before.

PM me your address and I'll send you along a turnbuckle if you need another one..

The shock towers look nice mate.

these are the stock shocks.... they're not silver bodies... just black plastic... my flash is just too bright! :yes:

dont worry about the turn buckle, i bought a pair of aluminium ones for

@Graxon:

They only released this car with a 65t spur so you shouldn't need to do that too often. there is an exploded image of this on the 5th page of this thread.

You can do it through the front but to be honest removing the top of the gear box is probably the quickest option.

That strange mine are quite stiff. and as also do indoor racing would benefit from softer springs

May be its just mine then

Has any one else got stiff springs or soft

Hey guys,

Been following this thread for a while, deciding whether or not to buy one or not. Well yesterday I received my brushed version. I bought the brushed basically to save some cash as I already had an etronix photon combo with a 12t motor in my stock.

So straight away I swapped the brushed system for my brushless system, and put a 2.4 receiver into it - I have an etronix pulse ET1110 for all my models. Problem was yesterday the receiver was broken out the packaging - glitching horribly and then just wouldn't bind. Spoke to CML today and they are kindly sending a new one out to me.

Tonight though I put the receiver from my stampede into it so I could at least use my new model we waiting for the new receiver, and my pede need some loving on the maintenance table anyways. So I took it out - I had put the pinion from the brushed motor onto the brushless motor - from what I counted it's a 24t, and it is the stock spur - forgive me but I don't know what the t count of that spur is. I had a 2s 3000mah 25c in it and was loving it! It's the first 4x4 I have driven and the first buggy style - my other two are a stampede and rustler. Odd to get used to but fun once I had so I could get a bit more confident. I'm a basher at heart so after about 15 mins I got to she I usually bash my pede. Nothing hectic but a few small nice jumps - a curb lip that has a nice mud lip on it to run up. And a few mounds of bark etc.

This is when I hit the big problem. After the first decent jump, did a totally unintentional forward flip - looked perfect (kinda wish I could take credit for it!) and landed on all four. Sweet and drove away for a few feet. Then kinda started to stutter, steering was fine just felt like some stripped gears. I checked both the diffs and they were fine checked the driveshaft and that was fine, and after that checking it drove fine. For a few mins. Then it happened again. This happened about 4 times before the ESC decided that it wanted to be on fire :(. Luckily I got the battery out and everything under controll before any damage happened to anything else.

So just the ESC went up, nothing else has a fault, it drove fine, the speeds I was expecting form what I had read here and what I know of speeds from these things.

From what you guys know is the gearing I had - stock brushed gearing, on a 2s with a 12.9t brushless system ok for this, or was I pushing the ESC too much?

I'm going to go into the LHS tomorrow and have a chat with them about it but wanted to get your guys opinions as well. Plus I wanted to join in here, I've already been looking at it with the upgrading eyes lol. But at the moment im not sure which way to go, either toughen it up and leave the platform as it is. Or increase the weight a bit, raise it slightly and make it more able to bash hard! I suppose first i should get it running properly lol.

That strange mine are quite stiff. and as also do indoor racing would benefit from softer springs

May be its just mine then

Has any one else got stiff springs or soft

I'd say mine are softer than the stock traxxas ones. And softer than I would like honestly, I feel like I'll be bottoming out a lot with these springs.

However I will quickly be looking for springs that will fit ovr these shocks and making some dual rate shocks for them. Over in the traxxas stampede forum there is a mod to make dual rate dual spring shocks - kind of like the proline powerstrokes just without the price tag!! Hopefully I'll have this mod done in a week or less - ill check in the LHS tomorrow for the springs. And I'll post up the process when I'm done, but it's a simple enough idea. Get a second sping and cut it down to the desired length, usually around an inch or so, then get 2 top shock retainers that aren't threaded and glue them back to back. Then put the top spring on, the fabricated retainer, the second long spring the lower retainer and your done. The results are pretty awesome, you can have a heavier spring on the bottom for larger jumps and bigger hits to stop bottoming out, and a soft spring on the top to absorb all of the little imperfections in the surface. I have noticed the improvement in my stampede with the powerstroke shocks on and they aren't even tuned properly!

This happened about 4 times before the ESC decided that it wanted to be on fire :(.

Fantastic wording there!

welcome to the thread chap, The stock pinion is a 23tooth (i think you may have miscounted) I found that gearing to be aimed at top speed as thats what every ready to run aims for. to wow the user out the box. at least in my experience any way. I? I run with either a 21 or 20. i forget which but i mention further back in the thread as i recommended it to ian. That to me is the best balance for acceleration and top speed.

You dont really need to do a great deal to make them tough little nuts to be honest but i would suggest changing the shocks out for alloy ones as the the shafts bend a little easy in the stocks i find. Also the rear tower is a sod for breaking so maybe try what me or rhum have done. make your own. :)

i hope you get it back up and running soon. If you need any help with ideas or parts drop it in here and one of us will no doubt think of something for you.

Edited by luke662

I'm not sure about softer springs as i find the stocks a little soft too but if someone wants to stiffen their springs then you can always torch them for a few seconds. This will stiffen them up but they wont all be perfectly matched as they will heat up at different speeds. Maybe time them when you are heating them.

Fantastic wording there!

welcome to the thread chap, The stock pinion is a 23tooth (i think you may have miscounted) I found that gearing to be aimed at top speed as thats what every ready to run aims for. to wow the user out the box. at least in my experience any way. I? I run with either a 21 or 20. i forget which but i mention further back in the thread as i recommended it to ian. That to me is the best balance for acceleration and top speed.

You dont really need to do a great deal to make them tough little nuts to be honest but i would suggest changing the shocks out for alloy ones as the the shafts bend a little easy in the stocks i find. Also the rear tower is a sod for breaking so maybe try what me or rhum have done. make your own. :)

i hope you get it back up and running soon. If you need any help with ideas or parts drop it in here and one of us will no doubt think of something for you.

Cheers dude, I will be getting a new ESC one way or the other. But I will probably end up on an MMP or something along the lines of a VXL to go waterproof. Just hope they will be kind to me and replace it - wishful thinking there I think!

I have bought a spare frog carbon tower for it on purchase, but I have been thinking about one of the rear tower mods, but I may hold out on that till it breaks on me :).

Hmm replacement shock bodies and shafts... May look into some complete upgrades for them then. It would be nice to go to a wider shock shaft. But I'll go and look now at the options there.

Yeah I'd like to have it running for the weekend so I can go out with 3 options to drive!! Oly 3 batteries at the moment though which kind of sucks :(.

Thanks for the welcome! I'll be us to ask if needed :). But hopefully I'm thinking of contributing as well lol. Depends on where my eye falls first for an upgra. I'm thinking something along the camber and steering links first - I like big beefy links preferably with some color to them hehe

I've ordered a pair of new springs... might take a while to get here but i definitely need to change my rear ones... were bent yesterday!

do we all have different stock motors? mine is 12t. pinion is 23teeth (just changed it to 24) and spur at 65t.

i like my acceleration! i still spin on start with the 24teeth pinion!

i like the title change! all welcome!

Off topic

how do you accept friends request think muck it up. on mobile at moment laptops down

On topic

strange you got different motor.

What's rest off you got?

I guess 12t motor is faster than 10.5t

The motor that I used on mine was brushless at 3750kv running 3cell at 5000mah

Wanted to fit the 4 cell in but had lost interest because of diffs going bang ect

Good 1/10th buggy but once you go 1/8th you'll never go back IMO

Just my 2pence

Good work by the way !!!

Not sure you will need beefy turnbuckles, I've had no issue at all with the ones on mine. That said i have put 2 lunsford punishers on the rear but thats only because they were in my box of bits from an older car. As for colour I find slipping some fuel tubing over it is pretty cool looking and protects from dirt and corrosion. Or alternatively use some shrink wrap if you want some block colours like white.

I was thinking of getting some white shrink rap for my turnbuckles CVD's and dog bones. The driveshafts is purely so if i loose them on a field they will be easier to spot. The turnbuckles is just because it looks cool.

Hm thats an interesting idea for the coloring. Will have to have a look at that. But i would be worried in some places as to how robust the shrink wrap was.

Id use parts i have in my stock to start with to be fair, i have a bunch of link rods and ends lying about from all my traxxas upgrades so will be looking at some point to see if they fit on.

Just got back from the LHS. they didnt have any springs i could have used for my dual spring mod, but again i have some spare traxxas springs so ill see if they are the right bore to fit on.

As for the ESC they are going to send it back to CML and we can see what those guys say about it - hopefully ill get a replacement but we will see. In the meantime, and for long term to be fair i have picked up an MMP from castle. I have one in my rusty and am very impressed with it. And it should hold 2 and 3s a lot lot better. Also hoping it will be fine at the same gearing as i totally forgot to pick up a smaller pinion earlier. Though i may have a 19t lurking about somewhere in my parts draw! Am i right in thinkin these come with 48p gears and not 32p?