• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

quick balance charge question (although I should've gone to bed...)

MAZ

I really should be bed lol but just got a quick noob question

what should I balance charge my 5000mah 20-30c lipo at?

Really need to get to grips with this stuff

Thanks

Morning!! 5A mate, you basically take the zeros off (divide by 1000) to get your charge rate with a lipo :yes:

I'm up and awake!!!

Ahhh okay cheers ebo, does that apply for balance charging and normal charging?

Yes- doesn't make any difference. You should be balance-charging every time though ( see: 'best practice', better to learn good habits rather than bad ones when you are starting out ) in reality, even if it takes a little bit longer.

Okay cheers, why did I get the impression that you had to set the charger to a lower amp when balance charging??

And just me being a noobo, 5a is the same as 1c? Or is that wrong?

My charger can charge up to 10a but 5a is best to charge lipos at?

What would happen uf I charged at 6 or 7a? Would it be faster charging but would knacker the lipo pretty quick?

Cheers and sorry if I sound a bit thick lol

Shame, I was just about to post an answer to your question. I'll have to wait till tomorrrow when youve woken up :whistling:

Actually Im a newbie to rc cars so couldnt answer your question even if I tried!! But thanks to your question, I now know to always balance charge my lipo :thumbsup:

Do brand new lipos need charging or are they sold fully charged?

It is SAFE to charge batteries at a rate of 1C (ie 5000mah charges at 5A, 4200mah charges at 4.2 etc etc ), this will give them enough charge to run effectively and they will last (all things being equal) a long time. Charging at a higher rate may not only shorten battery life but could result in a pack going off, which you really do not want to do.

Some people may choose to charge at a higher rate than 1c, I wouldn't.

And yes, a sold Lipo will have some charge in it, clearly, as the cell value must not drop below 3.2v per cell but will need balance charging before use to top it up, then balance charged every charge from then on.

Lipos are perfectly harmless; IF you look after them, they'll look after you.

Cool thanks, thats helped alot!

Can I do a storage charge at 5a too?

I take a storage charge is when your not gonna use the lipo for awhile?

Okay, that does make me sound stupid lol

how long is it okay to leave a lipo for after a storage charge???

I personally don't like to leave my lipos fully charged for more than 3-4 day. My charger in storage mode is 1a max I think most are it will put the cells to 3.8v and will be fine to store for a month or two any longer and check them to be safe.

Edited by big turbo

Funny thing- 99% of your questions are hypothetical ones I covered in my Tutorials guide for people new to lipos & lipo charging / care. If you need a one-stop resource for this kind of info, click the link in my sig & scroll down to the appropriate section ( lipo chargers & charging ). :)