• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Mini 8ight carbon fiber chasis with upkick, interested?

mainamigo

I would say leave the upkick out of the chassis... just have a Carbon chassis cut out with a CNC along with a rear kick plate made out of some delrin which can be attach to the under side of the chassis via the 4 rear diff case screws... just counter sink the holes on the kick plate and also give a slanted angle edge around the kick plate...

kick plate should cover this part of the rear chassis, to protect the carbon chassis on hard rear landings

kickplate.jpg

Edited by kiddead83

I would say leave the upkick out of the chassis... just have a Carbon chassis cut out with a CNC along with a rear kick plate made out of some delrin which can be attach to the under side of the chassis via the 4 rear diff case screws... just counter sink the holes on the kick plate and also give a slanted angle edge around the kick plate...

kick plate should cover this part of the rear chassis, to protect the carbon chassis on hard rear landings

kickplate.jpg

The upkick is at the front of the chassis bud and is required becaause of the gearbox shape/mountings. There is likely a way to do it but not so easy to do.

If you guys wait a bit longer Driven Productions are bringing out some Derlin bits and i think it will include kick plates, shock towers plus upper gearbox case but that is only a rumour i read on another forum so dont quote me on it but the front shock tower is out now at the toyz so it maybe true

Great idea

However a friend of mine milled his chassis as he's a machinist

All dOne properly , gave great flex ..... Looked the dangles ,, then powder coated it .

Problem being is the car lost all it's stability . If anything people are putti g carbon top decks on standard chassis as the plastic top tray offers to much flex

The mini right drives better with less flex , I've even tried runnin mine with centre section cut on top deck

It needs to be rigid

I wondered about that but was thinking 4mm CF would be very rigid, theres also different types that can be used like layering 3 layers CF with 1 layer glass fiber to add ridgidity too. Do you think its a bad idea then? I'm mostly wanting to bring the weight down, it's a heavy little thing for a 1/16th scale.

Its very fast ye, I'm running it along with the 1/10th scales at my local club and if it wasnt for it being slower over the rough stuff, it would be 1 of the quickest if not the quickest car there. This is a reletevily small indoor track with tight turns though. A friend had a quick go and his reaction immediately was "wow, its got so much power!"

Only downside is it's probably gonna struggle on any outdoor tracks with biggr lumps and bumps but crazy fun indoors :)

Your probable gonna want to make a few mods for bashing as their is a couple of week points:-

Shocks tops/bottom

Steering knuckles

Hinge pin holders on the front

All replaceable with stronger parts though.

Edited by mainamigo

Its roughly the same size as the mini revo shell wise. You can easily stick truggy wheels and body on there though, I've seen it done. It can take 2s or 3s lipo's straight out of the box. With a 3s lipo its just ridiculous though, I run 2s and its plenty fast for racing with.

Thanks for the reply mate. I probably shouldn't be asking but since i've trying to sell up and visiting these forums frequently i've been lurking at the new products out there :whistling: starting to get bitten by the bug again!

How is the quality of the diffs? Can it do standing backflips?

Thanks for the reply mate. I probably shouldn't be asking but since i've trying to sell up and visiting these forums frequently i've been lurking at the new products out there :whistling: starting to get bitten by the bug again!

How is the quality of the diffs? Can it do standing backflips?

I would imagine if you have the suspension set right with 3s. Im not really a basher though, it wheelies very easily on a 2s lipo. The diffs seem to be very good too, I havnt seen any complaints about them. Theres loadsa info out there, they seem to be getting rave reviews everywhere. Don't see many second hand ones for sale either so guess thats a good sign.

img20120321171102.jpg

Just look at it though, such a little beast!! :yes:

Edited by mainamigo

I would imagine if you have the suspension set right with 3s. Im not really a basher though, it wheelies very easily on a 2s lipo. The diffs seem to be very good too, I havnt seen any complaints about them. Theres loadsa info out there, they seem to be getting rave reviews everywhere. Don't see many second hand ones for sale either so guess thats a good sign.

Just look at it though, such a little beast!! :yes:

Does look fun! How big are the shocks? I remember people cutting down 1/8 buggy shocks to put on their 1/12th cars. I like these ******* mods where you beef up a mini.

14mm spring diameter I think. Not a lot of options for upgraded shocks, I tried and failed miserably, still stuck with some sc10 shocks I shipped from the states... doh

I think hyper mini st are 14mm too. Not much to go by then, you could (would be overkill) shorten shafts etc. of different shocks. The front will be a problem though, the body will be too big but maybe you could do that too.

hong nor crt.5 shocks fit....read it somewhere but cant remember if it was the fronts or rears that fit!

edit......http://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mini-scales/600018-losi-mini-8ight-shock-options.html

Edited by goldblades7

If you guys wait a bit longer Driven Productions are bringing out some Derlin bits and i think it will include kick plates, shock towers plus upper gearbox case but that is only a rumour i read on another forum so dont quote me on it but the front shock tower is out now at the toyz so it maybe true

Second product from DP for the M8 coming soon. Really love their front shock tower.

http://www.thetoyz.com/Driven-Productions/Driven-Productions/Gears-Covers/Driven-Productions/15297/

The first people to give us a spur/pinion cover - just a pity the delrin upper chassis brace is so dull looking.

• 2 months later...