• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My Maverick Scout...

callisr

Not had much RC time this week but I have managed to get some tinkering time in between work and decorating :whistling:

Hopefully the pics tie up with the text!!

I decided to go with the bent lower links

DSC00875.jpg

Whilst I was at it I decided to inboard them

DSC00878.jpg

DSC00877.jpg

I ended up making the cut out 2 mm wider than shown in the above pic as there wasn't room for the nuts!!

DSC00879.jpg

When I mounted the new links in the new position, I noticed that the motor fouled the ball joint of one of the links so I had to pack up the whole transmission.

DSC00883.jpg

Unfortunately I forgot to take a pic of the link fouling the motor but the following pic shows how close it is even after packing up the tranny

DSC00891.jpg

Here is a pic of the links now they are all fitted

DSC00895.jpg

As I was tinkering and because I submerged the axles in water last time I was out with it, I decided to strip the axles. As expected, water had found its way into the front axle through these holes

DSC00886.jpg

DSC00887.jpg

I regreased the internals after a good dose of GT85 and fitted some M3 bolts into the holes to block them up.

Since the axle was in bits, I decided to trim the lugs off the steering arms to try and increase the turning circle

DSC00885.jpg

As you can see, the one on the right has had the lug cut off and the one on the left hasn't. It does seem to have made a difference to the turning circle but the tyres catch the lower links slightly. I am a bit concerned about what will happen when I fit the HB sedonas or Rovers (still not decided which yet!!)

Anyways, this is how my Scout looks now

DSC00893.jpg

Hopefully get up to blackrocks this weekend.

C Ya later!

Rich

Sedonas are better than rovers , Looking great man !

Blimey!! You must live on this forum!! LOL

Cheers btw! Glad you like it!

Must just take the plunge and go with the Sedonas I reckon! Just need to prise the cash out of my wallet!!

Rich

Blimey!! You must live on this forum!! LOL

Cheers btw! Glad you like it!

Must just take the plunge and go with the Sedonas I reckon! Just need to prise the cash out of my wallet!!

Rich

Email notifications :D sedonas are mega . Rcpitstop

Finally made it to Black Rock today. Only had about 40mins but it was the best 40mins of my RC life!!

some pics....

DSC00932.jpg

DSC00928.jpg

DSC00929.jpg

DSC00916.jpg

DSC00906.jpg

DSC00899.jpg

Think the climb took its toll on some.....

DSC00896.jpg

I was really impressed by the ability of the Scout. My eldest son did most of the driving and not much stopped it to be fair. A bit of thought was needed for some bits but other than that and a few end over's, all was great. Even the stock tyres worked better than I had been led to believe they would (although it was very warm and dry - wet rocks are probably a different story altogether!)

Can't wait to go back again!

Rich

a few more...

DSC00923.jpg

DSC00911.jpg

DSC00917.jpg

DSC00927.jpg

DSC00918.jpg

I truly enjoyed it there. I wish the pictures did some of the slopes and angles justice as it doesn't really show on the photos. The place is EPIC!!!

Rich

Looks great ! i need to lower mine , what shock oil did you use ?

cheers!

I used 30wt oil. I used 10mm spacers in the shocks. I think its probably the best mod I did. So much more stable.

Rich

id be interested in seeing some close up pix of lowering the shox please guys

Its dead easy , take the top shock cap off and empty the oil out. Then unscrew the nut of the shock shaft and remove the shock piston and washer below , Then insert 10mm of fueltube and reinstall the washer and piston and nut . Refill the shock with 30wt oil and screw the cap back on and jobs a good'un ! 1hours work :D

Its dead easy , take the top shock cap off and empty the oil out. Then unscrew the nut of the shock shaft and remove the shock piston and washer below , Then insert 10mm of fueltube and reinstall the washer and piston and nut . Refill the shock with 30wt oil and screw the cap back on and jobs a good'un ! 1hours work :D

Does it make that much difference? Will get some 30wt oil on Monday so should I lower it at the same time?

Sounds great but I work for a company where bank holidays don't exist :( !!

Rich

I'm sure there'll be some sportsman comps on none bank holidays too, it'll be interesting to see what everyone has done to their scouts :D

it'll be interesting to see what everyone has done to their scouts :D

Yeah I would like to see all the mods etc people have done to them. I hope I can get to a meet one day......

Would be great to meet a few like minded people too. When my kids are with their Mum I have no-one to RC with and people look at me like I am a freak when they see a 37yr old 'playing with toy cars'!!

Laters,

Rich

Yeah I would like to see all the mods etc people have done to them. I hope I can get to a meet one day......

I'm sure it can be arranged, when the weather gets better :)

...and people look at me like I am a freak when they see a 37yr old 'playing with toy cars'!!

First off, you're not playing, you're practicing, and they're not toys they're models :yes:

And 37 is no age really, you get funnier looks when you get older and are still "practicing" :whistling:

I'm sure it can be arranged, when the weather gets better :)

First off, you're not playing, you're practicing, and they're not toys they're models :yes:

And 37 is no age really, you get funnier looks when you get older and are still "practicing" :whistling:

LOL!! That just made me dribble my coffee out of my mouth!

Rich

Spotted a bit of a flaw when I drove my scout up at black rock. If you look at the picture of the replicated issue, you will see that the upper link / axle mounting flexes and allows the prop to bind against itself.

DSC00970.jpg

I noticed this happening several times during the run.

To overcome it, I could either buy a servo mounting plate or make something to brace the mount to the axle. Being the tight git that I am (and the fact that part of the fun is making stuff), I went for option 2! Made from a bit of ali plate I had kicking about (ignore the marking out lines-I marked out using a plastic school rule. When I checked using the steel rule, everything was nearly 1mm out!!) ...............

DSC00963.jpg

to attach to these points on the rear axle.....

DSC00964.jpg.

I am now thinking about making a servo mounting plate for the front axle using some stainless plate and incorporating a servo guard. This will offer some protection to the servo and horn, and also further weight up the front axle. I may also make a stainless one for the back axle too-workload allowing!

Cheers

Rich

Edited by callisr

Why make two, there's one one the front already, won't that fit the rear, then you just need one on the front with a guard :unsure:

To be honest I'd not noticed that problem...something else I have to sort out :xd:

I could just buy the servo mount but i believe they're quite expensive for what they are :shockingscary: