• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Monkey's S2 RS Turbo, Mk1 Golf GTi

bodgemonkey

Got the wheels swapped today, they've all got decent new tyres on them and been powdercoated too, wasn't too keen on red/white but should look pretty decent when all sorted :)

FAA986D2-1781-4BD1-8E9D-9A7262E61B87-886

3A866007-CCB4-46B4-A155-791761CA1E3C-886

Got an original single light grill from an early gti for a tenner from the car booty. Thought the actual grill itself was junk as it was caked in crap, gave it a hose down and came out ok

5FA05C54-5051-4E7E-A08A-D51B344AEBFC-100

So painted the trims in original Mars red no.2 paint, gave the badge a clean and a chemical jetwash.....ta da!

99BC3553-AFE4-467C-B436-0514D0FE9832-105

Got a bit bored, popped over to uncles, taken the Jensen out and started it up, sounds so gurd! Gonna try and get started on it soon :)

31D1ABF0-A5BD-4AB4-9068-AEC324909D12-108

19C5E23D-C5E5-4E68-B797-DF4882273FDF-108

1B279F27-251D-443F-838F-D07C08A8203A-108

Needs a clean!

Edited by bodgemonkey

2WD mate, Uncle had it since new, restored it in 91 and fitted god know what to the engine, essentially made it 1969 dodge charger 440 spec limited slip diff with shorter axle gearing too, high compresion gubbins plus some other stuff so apparently 450hp odd but honestly got no clue :lol:

Been left to rot for 20 odd years bodywork looks bad but it's mostly the flat panels that are rotten so shouldn't be that bad to sort, only major problem is the wings, will try and get a video of it running soon, 7.2 with straight through pipes is good :good:

very nice spec there bud

should sound like a right monster

i think the 2wd were a lot better a the 4wd was rather complicated and of course they are as rare as rocking horse ******

7.2 liters wow, v8 i'm guessing

andy

:thumbsup:

Righty, off to Cyprus on the 15th, got everything packed and ready to send, haven't been able to send the wheels over though which is a pain in the butt, and i'm not going to fit the external wastegate kit or the cams/cylinder head on just yet, but got the following to fit next week

- Turbo

- Silicone hoses

- Boost controller

- ECU

- BOV

- Intercooler

- Induction kit

- All the oil/water feeds (fitting some stainless braided hoses on for the oil inlet/outlets on the turbo)

- Full exhaust system

- Weld the Wideband boss onto the exhaust

- Wiring etc. for all the gauges and new sensors

- Door cards

- Bin the ABS modulators

- Refit the Central locking

- New spotlights and whatever else i can find!

After that it's time to get all the fuelling set up, having the Wideband o2 sensor fitted will be great here as it means I can keep an eye on the air/fuel ratio and richen the fuel mixture on boost to compensate for the extra turbo pressure. 

On the look out for some Cosworth brakes too, standard ones are ropey at best, hopefully with the ABS system completely removed rather than just taking the drive belts off it'll actually have some non spongy brakes :lol:

Taken the car out, 1 years worth of crap and dust washed off and she's good as new, still no rust either :) Binned the chav stickers and stuck on an oldschool 90s RSOC one.

Rear badge f?tted too.Turbo and exhaust are all ready to fit onto the car. Just waiting for the temperature to d?p below 40 degrees so I can actually do someth?ng :lol:

Will try grab some p?cs tomorrow ;)

the rs turbo on page 1 has the xr3i spoiler i think. Im sure my step dad had one when i was yound and the wing curled down at the end unless that was for the newer plate not sure but i liked the rs spoiler.

ah just read the last page too wow you have some nice cars to play with nice one i wish i had that luxuary that jenson is amazing gran turismo 5 i tested a standard jenson against a "96 corvett grand sport and the jenson was on the money with 1sec slower to 60mph and the 1/4 mile and so on the jenson "74 wasnt far off at all.

its on gran turismo 5 with the speed test add on. Gran turismo is accurate too with the cars ive googled the times then tested it on gt5 but i wish i had the real cars lol,

Edited by RCbutcher

Xr3is had the same spoiler but unpainted. 90 spec rs turbos had the different spoiler, I've got one to paint and fit but that's not for this year :)

Uncle forgot to put the tractors handbrake on and it ended up backing into the car whilst it was up on the jack, luckily all that happened is the tyre rubbed on the back bumper a bit and scuffed some paint...

Got a quick snap of the car

AF7AF50C-5076-4431-87D9-D55836C7EC09-931

Fitted the turbo

626BC9F2-B496-4A12-814A-4FD87D6F4E79-931

Luckily checked the water lines to the turbo before fitting, found this in one of them :lol:

D6136A00-E5E4-46A9-8586-F24F6F23468B-931

New front pipe ready to fit, loads less restrictive than the old carp...

F0C9904E-7D1A-470C-ACBB-1FC6352005D7-931

Oh and when I was taking the dash surrounds off to change the dash clocks and fit the gauges I found this

298A086F-31F0-4D2D-966B-28A951E24A35-931

And got the engine built back up

81CAB8F2-518E-46BF-978A-F5440AC69FA2-931

Turbo is perfect, no smoking whatsoever but the bigger turbines have made it pretty laggy, turbo kicks in around 3500rpm as opposed to around 25-700 the old one used to kick in. When I was adjusting the wastegate actuator the rod sheared so had to get that welded up for me, it's running 0.6bar @ the turbo just until its all bedded in nicely then I'll turn the boost up to around .85 bar, doesn't sound like much but when the old turbo was on just under 1 bar of boost it felt pretty similiar to how the car is right now.

Off to Nicosia again tomorrow to pick up the rest of the exhaust system and the door cards, ill try and get the wideband O2 sensor wired up sometime this week and fit the rest of the zorst on at the same time.

Edited by bodgemonkey

Pretending to be a rally driver isn't the best of ideas sometimes ... Went over a crest in a dirt road, must've hit a big rock aswell and my fuel gauge shot up to half, the resulting damage  :'(

:lol:

4C980235-4061-44F2-9D2A-186B7BEE38B1-863

Repairable or should I just get a new tank?

As long as it has not been punctured it may be ok although you may have to take it out to repair, maybe good to put in a new but you may be able to recondition that one for less than a new item

Andy

Seems fine for now dude, no leaks or anything. Fitted the exhaust, door cards and wideband today. Car was way over fuelling (afr was about 12:1 on idle!) so gave the base mixture a tune and its running loads better now but I think the throttle position sensor needs adjusting as its popping and banging like mad on the over run, then again I guess its better to run slightly rich. Not too keen on the exhaust tip as its a 4 inch magnex chav spec edition but it'll do for now, plus the turbo helps to silence the car a lot, I'll grab some pics tomorrow morning :)

Very jealous of that Jensen, I look forward to seeing you restore it. There's what's left of one in the next village. Has been rotting away for 30 odd years and is too far gone now but the owner still thinks it's worth 20k! 

This was it 10 years ago since then it has got ALOT worse, the whole rear end has just fallen off. Very sad. :(

bg15.jpg

Edited by Dom C

• 2 weeks later...

Well i'm back in London now so the RS is parked up for another year, me and a mate went for a cruise from the village to Kyrenia, car decided to dump the coolant all over the road so had to repair the rad, in all honesty I was expecting it to go as it was on it's last legs so a radtec alloy radiator will be getting bought an fitted along with a larger intercooler.

My mates 20VT mk2 couldn't get away from me when we both booted it aswell so that's a bonus  :lol:

Ditched the standalone manual boost controller and opened up the boost solenoid, enlarged the two nylon bushings inside to allow the car to run 1 bar of boost, although it was a bit of trial and error of drilling, refitting testing and repeating until desired boost. Bit of a pain but I've wired up an LED and a switch up to the solenoid. When the car is on 1 bar boost, the switch is closed and the LED is on, when the circuit is broken (i.e. the switch is pressed) LED goes off and maximum boost drops down to around .5bar. With this system it also means the ECU can cut the boost and retard the timing if the inlet temps go silly high.

After that I wasn't really happy with how laggy the car was, Dropping into 4th at 50 and the turbo just couldn't spool that quickly. After a bit of fettling, I fitted the MBC back on between the wastegate actuator and boost solenoid. As it's a ball/spring type as opposed to a standard bleed valve it does help a fair bit with lag as it stops the wastegate from opening prematurely, as it's a standard WG it starts to open around 4psi and is fully open around 7. With the MBC set to 7psi turbo response is much better now, I've also made a cut out in the dash for connecting the wideband sensor to the laptop, if I decide to go for standalone management and EFi it also allows me to monitor boost levels, AFR, rpm and a bunch more data from the ECU on the laptop :)

I've got a couple more pictures somewhere, once I get round to sorting all my clothes and whatnot out i'll stick them up here for you lot ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Right chaps, used the paint stripper this weekend. Applied a thick coating, left for 10 minutes and then reapplied, waiting another 10 minutes and pressure washed the wheels. The remaining lacquer turns into an rubbery elastic sheet which comes off after a bit of rubbing with you hand. Used a respirator as this stuff is pretty evil and some latex gloves. The latex tore on my thumb and some of the stuff got on my hand. Much swearing was involved as my thumb felt as if someone had tried to blow torch it lol.gif

Anyways, after the first lot of paint stripper this was left

3841C5B8-313C-4947-8454-30448082F698-325

Then out came the polisher!

09C91D15-634A-4F55-A152-C93EF5D35B16-325

A34B8137-CC48-41D0-A925-625761B55DE3-325

Got one of the wheels bolted up but it's coming off again for paint

46D151F2-E991-453C-96B6-1A24672BDCCE-325

• 2 weeks later...

Looks clean that fella, get her boosted ;)

Ha, mate has a freshly refurbished eaton m45, also seen guys just bang a turbo and all associated pluming and get 180bhp on the engine as it stands, although a few peeps have put the 4age from the levin(20v)or(16v) from the corrola gti16, either way it's going to be fun, very clean and solid base.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my first attempt, by no means perfect but they're not gonna be show wheels! Just waiting for the lacquer to fully harden before I start to polish them. Colour is Toyota Decuma Grey metallic.

D8EFB149-E5B8-43D6-B1B2-F957793332DC-539

BE87D630-234B-426A-90FC-92EB38D3FA28-539