• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Newbie - cannot start nitro buggy

don shaleone

could the quick acceleration be due to the fuel put directly into the carb?

I didn't actually put fuel directly into the carb, I just put my finger over the carb and turned it over, then did the hair dryer trick.

Either way it started with help from the forum :)

I've set the idle up and it seems to idle okay, maybe a little higher than it needs to be but I think I've got the idea on how to adjust it.

When I pull off though their seems to be a little hesitation where the engines rev drop slightly, but then picks up again and blasts off, too lean?

Also on tick over if I put my hand in front of the exhaust but not blocking it, I get quite alot of fuel on my hand, not to mention it drinks fuel big time? But I don't know if this is normal as its my first car...

How long is it idling before you take off? Unburnt fuel will sit in the chamber if you are at a stand still. Try bliping the throttle to clear this. The fuel from the exhaust will be due to the factory needle settings which are rich settings. This is another reason for the bogging down during acceleration, the needle is allowing a lot of fuel into the engine and not a lot of air so as you increase the rmp, more fuel is getting pulled into the combustion chamber with a little amount of air, the fuel needs the right amount of oxygen to combust and the lack of oxygen means that not all of the fuel is getting burnt. Some of this is left in the combustion chamber and some is blown out of the exhuast (the residue on your fingers when covering the exhaust) more and more fuel builds up inside the chamber causing less combustion and this is the bogging down. It may take a while to read this but when it is inside the engine it is seconds.

Richen: screw out

Lean: screw in

the stock settings i gave are the settings for after break in so not rich, if anything too lean for cold weather. the break in settings are a full turn minimum out from what i said

Edited by HATZY

no what you said is spot on, i just had a feelin that it would be too lean at those settings so wanted to see what performance was like before sugesting changes and gettin technicle lol and plus if it was sittin idle for too long their would be a massive plume of smoke as the car pulls off and since he said very little smoke, bein opti leans more towards a lean tune

Right, this one is not so easy as the first one. This one I can get started but it has a mind of its own, I can't get it to tick over without the wheels spinning and sometimes it will start up then die straight away or it will start up then after a couple of seconds start screaming so ill turn it off.

Could this be an air leak? I'm getting alot of air bubbles in the fuel line....

Thanks