• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Newbie - cannot start nitro buggy

don shaleone

Just picked up a buggy off ebay it was quite cheap so I dont mind to much if it needs a new engine, but the seller seemed very sure it would work just hadn't been used in a very long time. Firstly I had to buy a steering servo arm and a charger for the glow heater, now I've got these sorted I've been trying to start it with no sucess. I've blown the fuel round to the carb and tried to start it with heating glow plug etc but it dont sound like it wants to do anything. If anyone has any tips or ideas as to why it wont start I would be grateful :) It is a GV Model Panther Force .12 I believe. Thanks!

Nope, how do I find out what were set at from factory? The idle screw was screwed all the way in when I first got it :S

Heat the engine up with a hair dryer or heat gun (or better still, an engine pre-heater i.e. surestart or home made equivalent) - it makes starting engines much easier and reliable.

Yeah I need to try this.

hi mate,, i would replace the fuel lines as they maybe gummed up,, clean the airfilter in some nitro fuel and dry it as it may also be gummed up and dirty,, put a new glow plug in as even if they still light up it can be knackered, and as stated before find the factory settings for the carb and reset it back to factory standard,, search google for the settings mate

Edited by scotty1986

The fuel lines seem fine I had to blow through the tube to get the fuel to the carb though, when I tried the covering the exhaust method nothing happened, could that mean something is wrong? Also their is a spring type button on the fuel tank it doesnt seem to do anything, what is it for?

The air filter is dirty but just for trying to get started couldnt I just remove the air filter so it gets nice clean air unrestricted?

I bought a brand new glow plug today.

Any ideas where I could find the factory needle settings?

hatzy has just posted them for you mate,, and you could take the filter off but then theres a chance something could get in the carb and that wont end well,, and the button your on about will be a primer to get fuel to the engine but there not very reliable as you have found out and can cause air leaks in the tank

yyes you are right about hsn,lsn. with the air filter off, look down the hole, the gap in the throttle body should be about 1mm. the spring button is for priming(pushing fuel to the carb) if adjusting the needles doesnt do anything, try droppin a little (not alot) nitro down the carb. also is the fuel fresh?

where the fuel line attaches is the hsn, lsn on this carb according to the manual is just under that on the side of the carb body. the idle set screw is a little black screw with a spring on it

Edited by HATZY