• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

THE Mini Recon Thread

stretch

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, Thank you, stretch.

I learned more about enhancements and alternative parts for the Mini Recon in this thread than I have in all the other forums I read!

I recently bought a Mini Recon to start getting into the world of RC Cars. I'm still very green but hopping to evolve fast enough.

I read what all you guys wrote in this thread and still have a few doubts. I would really appreciate if one of you could help this RC rookie.

1 - I see you purchased a 5200KV motor and used a ESC you already owned. I am thinking about purchasing a 5200KV motor + ESC but I can't find any online, in Europe. I found some in eBay but where all from Hong Kong. Do you know any European online store I could look in to?

Would the stock NI-MH battery give me at least 10 minutes of fun with this motor+ESC?

Does your motor fit in the car without having to make adjustments or changes?

2 - Do you know where I can find wheels and tires online, in Europe, that fit in this car? I am from Portugal and would like to avoid customs charges.

Thanks in advance for your help.

UPDATE:

3- Did you find a metal spur gear that fit this car? If so, where?

Edited by avfigueiredo

hi, firstly i'm glad my thread has helped you as to be honest I was starting to worry no one was taking any interest as there's been nearly 900 views of it but hardly any replies.

1, Yes i've purchased and the 5200kv motor has arrived but as the MR is a present I haven't had the opportunity to fit it yet, as soon as I do I will update my thread with my findings. I've had a hunt round for you and unfortunately the only place I can find it is from hong kong. How are your customs fees calculated is there a cut off limit?

2, Do you mean other than the stock ones? I know the stock ones are part number hpi 105524 and are available from different countires. For aftermarket wheels it's strongly believed the MR is based on the maverick atom so wheels from this might fit.

3, A couple of people have reported success with the 18t diff gears http://www.thetoyz.c.../The-Toyz/9388/

Edited by stretch

Thanks for the fast replies!

(...)as soon as I do I will update my thread with my findings.

Great. I will surely be coming back often.

How are your customs fees calculated is there a cut off limit?

Here lies the big problem. As far as I know, there are no defined customs charges in Portugal and, somehow, the customs workers charge whatever they like. Seems like a third world country, I know, but I think it works like that. I believe that they only check 1/3 of the containers, and they only charge for expensive packages, but this is not an exact truth. I used to buy books from Amazon.com and the charges were usually more expensive than the books.

Do you mean other than the stock ones? I know the stock ones are part number hpi 105524 and are available from different countires. For aftermarket wheels it's strongly believed the MR is based on the maverick atom so wheels from this might fit.

also look for rc18 wheels and tyres they should fit and yes the mr is basicly a atom with a few mods(...)

Yes, the stock wheels are very fragile and, although the stock tires are great for most occasions, I would like to have a set of foam tires for tarmac parking spaces.

But this is great news. I'll be checking the market for Maverick Atom wheels and tires. Thanks.

A couple of people have reported success with the 18t diff gears

Great. They're out of stock now but I'll be watching to see when they're available again.

Thanks to both for your replies. It's good to know that there are some non-stock replacement parts available for the MR.

Regards.

Thanks all.

Got the car today and i'm well impressed what you get for the money, it drives well, looks great and is well built for what it costs.

I'm going to get a couple of spare batteries for it, should I get the stock 7.2v 1100mah, or are there some which would fit in the car with more capacity? (not interested in going lipo at the moment)

Cheers

Rich

A guy on youtube has used lipo and just added an in-line LVC, seems to work fine, and goes like stink!

as I said "The stock esc doesn't have LVC" meaning it's not capable of running lipo as is.

And you were right, I was just adding a bit of extra info.

I've read somewhere that you can swap the wheels for some 1/10th scale with adapters, anyone done this? Mine are badly cracked already from todays run and there's not much to choose from on RC18.

Edited by drivinscool

i've got a spare mini tamiya connector which I can put onto a fly lead for you all you would need to do is put banana plugs on. Yes mines held ok but it hasn't been bashed. People who've jumped them have managed to crack the wheels so worth changing them if that's what you want to do with it.

• Like 1

i've got a spare mini tamiya connector which I can put onto a fly lead for you all you would need to do is put banana plugs on. Yes mines held ok but it hasn't been bashed. People who've jumped them have managed to crack the wheels so worth changing them if that's what you want to do with it.

thanks again , i may got one for fun in the future , but im after a hpi trophy flux of some sort :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Sorry to butt in but I am seriously thinking about getting a Mini Recon for tooling around the house with when the weather is bad etc. I have seen this battery (7th one down) -

http://www.vapextech.co.uk/acatalog/High_Power_Model_Control_Batteries_A23.html

and this charger (which would also be used for my 1/10 batteries):

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/fusion-5ive-nx82-delta-peak-dual-output-charger/rc-car-products/32524

Are these suitable for use with the Mini Recon?

Could the above charger be used to charge the std battery that comes in the box?

Sorry for all the questions!

Cheers,

Rich