• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Beginner to nitro cars

chunk000

hi i am new to nitro cars and am wanting to buy one but i dont know where to begin. i dont want to pay too much to start but i dont have a clue what im looking for. If anyone could help me i would be really greatful!

you have to get fuel and a glow starter as well and read these threads http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/3368-how-to-tune-a-nitro-engine/ http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/8638-breaking-in-your-nitro-engine/ http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/31379-beginners-faq/ read them the opposite way to the way i have put them so start here

it really depends on what facilities you have in your area. if you only have access to parks then on-road is no go. you will need a very smooth surface to run it and for the most part you will be restricted to running it on a track near you. Off-road on the other hand is more flexible and will run on grass and dirt provided you keep it dry and there are no huge rocks or very tall grass. I have a soft spot for on-road and as a result i barely get to run mine.

Well i know there is a track near mine for people to use,its a proper cirxuit.i also.have access to big car parks and good offroad.if u could suggest some starter cars and equipment that would be great

Depends if you want on road or off road? 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel drive? monster truck or buggy? me i prefer monster truck also 4 wheel drive that way you get something thats big usually strong and 4 wheel drive means to get pretty good grip but not everyone likes monster trucks it all depends on what you like?

buggys can be off-road and on-road. The tyre selection is up to you but they will run anywhere as long as there are no big obstacles. Typically they are 4WD with a centre diff.

Ok well are buggys on road and off road or both. what options are avaliable for them,are theu four wheel drive?thanks for your help

look at the two i put at the topone is 4wd and the other is 2wd and they are both great cars

The problem with nitro is you tend to get what you pay for.

You can buy budget, but you tend to end up with one or more of the following problems...poor spares backup, poor build quality, fussy hard to tune engines and limited upgrades. Usually you get the whole lot...but not always.

You also need to budget for the gear you need to run and maintain it. Glow starter, charger for glowstarter, fuel and a basic toolkit. Budget for around £50 for that. Then, you are really lookign at spending around £200 on a car if you want to buy new. That's where the well supported and well designed durable kit starts. Also..do not forget a failsafe if the supplied radio does not have one built in.

Of course...you can buy used, and save a big chunk of cash. Often you will get other stuff thrown in that you will need too. OF course...buying any used vehicle has it's pitfalls. You don;t know how hard a life it;s had and there may be faults you just aren't going to spot. Nitro engines are also an unknown quantity. Even apparantly good motors can blow unexpectedly. If you don;t know how it's been treated in the past, it's easy to buy something that will give you a lot of trouble and not a lot of fun. It can also end up costing you more than a new one if you are unlucky. Personally..I would advise a novice to start with a new vehicle as it gives you the best chance of having something work well.

Now....what to buy. Offroad is my thing, so I will stick to that.

1/8 scale buggies are fun. You can buy road tyres and use them on tarmac too. Hyper 7's are solid ( steering servo is a bit hit and miss....but otherwise, sound) and take masses of abuse. I also rate the HongNor X1X. HPI Trophy now comes with good radio gear and is worth a look. Thunder Tiger EB4 isn't bad, and spares supply seems to be better with the new importers.

Monster Trucks are going to cost you a chunk more cash, and are no good on road really. Savages. Revos etc. are a lot more money. Great cars...but look at doubling the cost. You could try a smaller truck like the HPI Bullet MT / ST. Have some issues,ally g but basicood.

I would avoid 1/10 scale buggies as the ground clearance limits their use somewhat. If you go 1/10 scale, go for a truck or truggy style vehicle. Firestorm is a good truck, and been around for years. Parts are easy to get, and they go well. Again, swap the tyres if you want to go on tarmac, as the stock tyres won;t last long otherwise. I would also consider the Hyper Mini ST. Ripping little beasty. Modelsport are currently selling a lightly used model for £149 which is very good value...and although used, you are buying from a shop so have some comeback. It's smaller...but as it's a truggy...has a bit more ground clearance to cope with grass. I'd be tempted to have one if I had some room left to fit in another car....

Of course...it's your money, and only you will know if any of these trucks appeal.....but any of hte ones I have listed would be reliable, easy to get spares for from retailers or E-Bay, and are about as cheap as you want to go before you start buying things that just don;t have what it takes to survive 'having fun'!!!!

At the moment...not really.

If I was looking to buy, the Revo with .26 Picco would be mine. £200. Shell is wrecked, but the rest of it looks good and it's very tidy. £200 is a good price for a Revo.

Superredeye's HPI Trophy Truggy looks like a proper little gem too. Price is around £300 but it's a good deal for what you get. You would need to add your own radio gear, but for £30 that's easily sorted.

Other than that, there isn't really anything that I would recommend that fits with what you are after. Some good stuff...but not really suitable for a firtst nitro.

I have looked at the, i wasnt planning to spend a large amountto start.does anyone who have posted on my comment know anyone selling a car cheap or not too expensive?

To start off I purchased http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ansmann-racing-virus-2-rtr-buggy-2.4ghz/rc-car-products/36816

I would seriously consider it as it is a great car, fast and easy to tune.

Although it is £200 it is money well spent. :thumbsup:

I am fairly new to cars and have a hpi trophy buggy 3.5. Still running in but loving it so far, am sure it will be loads of fun when its tuned

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk