• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

cant get it to start help please

lonie

hi,

recived my nitro car from Ebay today and it was in a pretty bad wayive since brough it up to spec but cannot for the life of me get it to start!

so far i have:

checked plug, all is good there

checked fuel supply... all good

attempted to reset needles... and i got lost

the hsn is obvious i set that to 3 1/2 turns out

the lsn is nowhere to be found all i can find is the screw that holds the linkage on :/ so unless it doubles as a lsn im not sure so i ignored that and proceeded to try and start it

i kept tugging and tugging and then i thought hang on it should have flooded by now?

so i took out the plug cranked it over a few times and put the plug back in gave it a tug and bam it started... for all of 2 seconds then it choked and died then i noticed there was lots of fuel around the base of the engine and on the head to the point where when i held a lighter to it it caught fire.

i investigated this and found it is spitting fuel from the area where the clutch is and also where the glow plug goes in

is this the cause of my problem>?

also i noticed the compression is low it doesent take much atall to turn it over

any help guys i know roughly what i am doing so i should be able to do anything you ask

It sounds almost 100% like you have a leaking engine. If you've had lots of experience with nitros before then you could dismantle and repair the engine youself. But if you haven't had much experience then I recommend that you either try to find someone who can help you repair it (like a hobby shop) or just buy a new engine and save yourself the bother.

You say its second hand, if so what sort of compression does the engine have?

I can't see why the car would spit fuel out from where the clutch is? that's very odd!

Check the plug has the small copper gasket.

Get back to us and we can move on, we will get it sorted ;)

Hi,

No it dosent have a copper gasket on the plug... Is that important?

Its not spitting from the clutch per-se its frim the front bearing there is also alit of fuel collecting in the exhaust

Its a hpi nitro mt 2

Compression wise it dosent seem to have much it seens very easy to turn over by hand from he flywheel

I live in york i have a moped so can travel if anyone is local ish

Thanks

First replace the copper gasket on the glow plug and go from there. More that likely the engine has shaken itself loose and need either tightening or resealing. Either of these will solve your problem.

update time,

so today i took the engine off took off the flywheel and backplate,

i put some instant gasket around where the front bearing sits and some round where the backplate sits in an attempt to raise the compression .

also after taking into account that i don't have a gasket on the plug i used a small washer instead and i put some instant gasket round the base of that, put it all back together and viola i have slightly more compression (although it i pull the pull start slowly i can still hear air escaping from the glow plug :/ )

but i thought id try it out and see if i could start it so i put in my glow igniter and tugged it over twice and boom it started for a few second and tried to escape me even though i had the throttle fully closed ?

so i thought maybe its too rich? so i leaned it out by 1/4 of a turn and boom it started first pull only for a few seconds though and it still tryed to escape me so i leaned it out a little more and tried again no joy it wouldn't start so i reset the needle to how it was when i started it (3 1/2 out) and still no joy but it was dark and cold so i gave in for the night although when i got back into the garage i noticed a small pool of fuel under the front of the engine again :(

any ideas people?

thanks

liam

Have you taken your filter off and checked to see how big a gap you have in the carb. Should be approx 1mm.

it was sold as condition unknown lol

im happy to buy a new engine if i can get one cheep but the curent one needs head bolds bearings piston and liner thats like 90 quid and i can get a force .16 for 60 lol unfortunately i dont have 60 quid as i just spent 70 buying the car :/