• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What should I get?

heliNR

My first post on the forum, so hi to all.

I'm looking to get a RC Car and as usual want to get something a little better than the basic off the shelf. I'd rather buy something that will stay in one bit rather than have to replace parts all the time at the slightest crash. My mates mostly have Traxxas 4WD slash's but I have a tendency towards a 4WD buggy. It has to be elecy as i'm not a Nitro man and have all the Lipo charging equipment already for my helicopters.

I'm considering a 2nd hand HoBao Hyper 8.5 5S Castle convertion but not sure as it's £350 and miles away! However these do seem to be hard as nails and hard to break. Also looked at Losi 8 and Kyosho Inferno.

Can somebody give me some expirienced opinions so I don't end up buying a lemon!

Thanks,

Nick

hi and welcome to the forum.

first off mate, how much do you have to spend?? does that include buying lipos too??

hypers are very good mate but for £350 you could get something like maybe a hpi trophy buggy or truggy flux??

Ello There Matey, Welcome To The Forum :thumbsup:

Thought I'd Throw A Screwball Option Into The Mix X-)

(When Buying Second Hand From Forums Always Use Paypal Goods. Never Use Paypal Gift)

Theres Also a Mugen MBX5T brushless converted With A Tekno Conversion (clutch system, so Works Like A Nitro) For Sale There Too With One Of The Best Performing, And Best Quality Motor/ESC combos Out There Installed

(Castle Creations MMM CC1515 2200KV),

And Good servos, The Steering Servo Is A Hitec HS-5955TG And The Brake Servo Is A Hitec HS965MG

Its More Of A Racer Than A Basher But Its Extremely Well Built Hence Should Be Quite Tough and bash-worthy.

The MBX6T (Newer Version Of The MBX5T) is Up There With The Losi 8ight T 2.0, and together Are Two Of The Best Top End Racing Truggies Out There.

And The MBX5T isn't too far behind and is actually Tougher than The MBX6T for bashing....

Heres A Forum Thread Comparing The New Version To The Old...

MBX5T For Sale At MaxBashing

http://www.maxbashin...ead.php?t=18689 £230

It may not be a buggy like what your after, but Truggies are a hybrid of the monster (TR)uck and b(UGGY) vehicle classes in an attempt to combine the handling and stability of buggies with the rough terrain offroad handling characteristics of a monstertruck, And do a great job of both.

Will Need A Lipo Charger (you already have?) And A Transmitter/Reciever Combo To Complete, Maybe A Set Of Wheels Too As The Seller Doesn't Mention Anything About Wheels (full Set Of Wheels Is About £40ish New) And another battery to go with the battery included would be nice, to give you more runtime.

You might want to ask him if wheels are included....

As For A Transmitter/Reciever, this may be worth a look... Fly Sky FS-GT3B 2.4Ghz.....

If Its Good Enough for the Jang you cant go wrong for £30ish.

Just Need To Check That It allows throttle/brake mixing due to that MBX5T conversion using mechanical brakes and a brake servo to brake rather than using the motor and ESC to brake

Seems hard to find it in the UK however. Could Always Order It Over Ebay If you Don't Have Any Problems Ordering From Honk Kong.

If Anyone Else Has A Suggestion For A Good, And Good Value Transmitter\Reciever Combo Easily Available In the UK That Does Brake/Throttle Mixing Please Do, As Its 2:00PM I'm Tired, Want To Sleep. And Don't Feel Like Spending A Few Hours Researching/Googling) Right Now.... Maybe Tomorrow... :rofl:

Any random questions about anything just ask X-)

Edited by GorillaZilla

Thank for the feedback.

For some reason I like the idea of the MBX5T, does anybody think this not a good move? Its cheaper than the Hyper 8.5 but pretty much the same beast. I notice there's lots of MBX5T kicking around and cheap spares, so would easy to get. Also well known kit and lots of advice.

Thanks

The only disadvantage I can see with that MBX5T is the Tekno conversion Motor Mount+clutch. Its A Marmite thing. You Either Love It or hate It.

But if you don't like it all you need is This and a normal motor pinion to convert it into a more conventional brushless conversion. And if you want to continue to use the mechanical brakes with the RC monster mount you can optionally order the correct servo plate to go with it when ordering the mount.

And just to give you a good option for both a Truggy AND a Buggy, Heres another good option:

For £450 (Scroll Down To Last Post for last price reduction)

This Is An Truly Excellent buggy, And Is great value for money And is one of the tidiest and well built\soldered examples I've seen for a while.

Kyosho MP9-E For Sale Here On The MSUK Forums

There is no one buggy that is "The Best" But there is a shortlist of the best that are at the top of the foodchain

(Mugen MBX6 / Losi 8ight / Associated RC8 / Xray ect)

and the Japanese built MP9 ranks highly amongst them

(though not higher enough than the rest to justify their "Bought New" price tag imo)

The car for sale is Fitted with a top of the line tekin system (around £292 new) which is as good as, if not better than the caste creations system (£259 New)

Comes with one of the better radios around DX3S (£150ish New)

And for steering is Fitted with a Savox SC-1258TG (Around £60 New)

And a 4 Cell 5200Mah 50C battery that cost around £150ish (though you Can buy cheaper batteries that are just as good). Along with a faulty second battery that you can have a tinker with....

Also comes with an Imax B6 (£34ish new if you include separate PSU to provide 12V input)

And the barebones buggy itself costs around £500 (though I think its overpriced New)

Only Place I Could Find It For Sale in The UK

But I love that easily adjustable motor mount to get your gear mesh just right.... X-)

To build that MP9 for sale on the forum new would cost over £1000

And thats not including the batteries or charger.....

(Long video description on that one)

If your interested you might have to wrestle with Fluclear over it though X-D

The only problem may be availability and price of spare parts.....

Though it shouldn't be too difficult or expensive if you source your parts from Ebay or forums, and look up the most commonly broken parts on the MP9 chassis (Arms usually) and buying pre-preemptively as opportunities present themselves.

Of course, you don't have to take anything I say seriously as I'm loopier than a fruitbat :mf_laughbounce:

Edited by GorillaZilla

Thanks GorillaZilla for the advice. Really helpful, who needs google when we have you!

Im very unlikley to do any racing, unless its with a mate and for honors or a beer. So which would you buy if buggy/truggy wasn't part of the equation? I reckon thier about the same cash in the long run. If rusty_noob doesn't email me back I'm likely to loose the plot and get the mp9e anyway.

Thanks, Nick

Well, if mostly bashing then it has to be the MBX5T. As it really is as tough as nails, yet is no slouch and still quite competitive on a track.

And another point, is the Tekin RX8 ESC is more prone to shock damage than the Castle Creations Mamba Monster, Which isn't really ideal for bashing. Though insulating it from the chassis with firm foams can help as is mentioned in that thread...

Let me know how it goes with Rusty_Noob, If it doesn't work out I can take a look around for other potentially great options for sale :-)

Edited by GorillaZilla

Still no reply on the MBX5T and in some way I agree it might be the best option for a basher. However, the MP9E does make a nice buggy and that's what was looking at originally. I also had a look at Seller threads and the MP9E has been doing some fairly big jumps on his skateboard ramp. So maybe the MX8 is one of the good ones, he also knows what he doing.

If you think there's something better, I'd appreciate the pointers.

Thanks, Nick

Rusty_Noob is active on max bashing right now, and his status is "Private Messaging".... Hopefully you will get a response soon.

Just wondering did you login to Maxbashing with your own account and send him a Private Message over the foum?

Or did you just send him an email to his address? If it was an email It might be the reason for the delay.

If It goes nowhere... Then theres always that MP9-E, which is pretty tough itself.

Don't hang around too long though, lest someone else snap it up before you get a chance.

Let WindMill84 know your wanting to make an offer or buy as is, £450 for that MP9-E and all that comes with it is more than fair.

And I can say with some confidence that the MP9 won't disappoint.

Edited by GorillaZilla

Thanks again GorrilaZilla. No problems with the forum usage, I'm a regular on the heli ones.

I've had a reply from rusty_noob and now I have to pick which I want. I'm really struggling to pick and I'm split right down the middle. MP9E is a nice bit of kit but lack of parts could be an issue at some point. Then the MBX5T is very suitable for plain bashing but I have to get a Tx/Rx that has brake mixing. I'm thinking a Futaba 3PM-mx might be a good system system for it?

I've never been so undecided about something!

Nick

You could always cut a little plastic bag to size (like what you get small RC parts in) and pop it over the reciever with a silica gell sachet inside, and tightly rubber band it shut around the lower half of the reciever's plastic case.

Then cut holes in the bag for the wires to go though, then blutack around the wires where they enter the bag to make a sort of seal, then rubber band the bag holes around the blutacked wires.

That would keep most mud out as long as it's not submerged in really sloppy wet mud

It's a ghetto solution, but would leave the reciever's plastic case exposed so it could still be servo taped down.

Or you could just go simple and put the reciever in a baloon along with a bunch of silica gell sachets and have all the wires come out the end of the baloon and blutack and rubber band shut. and secure it to the car by any means you see fit.

You can mount the reciever almost anywhere in the car. You don't have to have it down where muck will get at it....

In my Hyper ST I've mounted my reciever in the back center of the car above the rear driveshaft on its own little Reciever\Aerial-Tube-holder tower made by screwing a spare Center Diff Mount Post onto the chassis from underneath through one of the inner engine mount holes....

Then got some spare flat plastic and cut out a plastic platform for the reciever to be servo taped onto, with a hole drilled out for a hex screw to go through into the top of the "Diff mount post"

Then screwing the aerial holder post down through the plastic platform and into the Diff Mount Post which then sandwiches the plastic platform Between the aerial Post And Diff Mount Post Which Holds it firmly in place.

Makes a neat little tower raised above the chassis that is pretty easy to just pop a little plastic bag over to protect from mud and splashing.

(with a hole cut in the bag and bluTacked and rubberbanded shut for the aerial, and a rubber band holding the bottom of the bag shut and holding it on, Chuck half a dozen or so silica gell sachets like you get with shoes in there too for good measure)

Thats just to give you an idea on the kind of things you can do, just be innovative and put something together yourself with a drill , a hacksaw and random houshold items..... and it helps to have random RC parts lying around :P )

I've loads of random Hyper ST parts lying around including those handy center diff mount posts,

If you like, I'll Have a look though the MBX5T assembly manual and compare with that particular MBX5T thats for sale and see if I Can't put you something similar together you can use to mount your reciever somewhere out of the junk parts I have lying about And pop em in the post for you...

Just don't count on me too much as:

I'm extremely lazy :asleep:

its hard to tell whether what I'd put together would work or not without having the car right there in front of me to hold parts in place to see if they'd fit in alright and not get in the way of anything...

Edited by GorillaZilla