• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

TT-01/TL-01 Essential Upgrades/Hop-ups

Hpi_matrix_stock

Hi there guys. Just after a little advice really...

I recently inherited a TT-01 from my brother and I'm looking for some help getting it ready to run. He started it as a bit of a project but never got round to finishing it.

Here's the info on what he's given me...

It's already upgraded with the alloy drive shaft, ball races, adjustable turn buckles and has had a gearing change (although I'm not sure what gearing is fitted)

Drive wise it's all stock (silver can motor & Tamiya esc) and I've got an acoms radio/receiver.

As for power he's given me 3 intellect 3600 nimh battery packs fitted with what look like 3.5mm connectors (female connectors are fitted to the batteries and I have a set of male connectors ready to fit). The car still has the standard Tamiya connecter fitted, which I assume is why I have the male connectors. The charger he's given me is a TLP Expro ii Pulse Charger. It has wires with a Tamiya connecter which I again assume will need changing for the gold ones fitted on the battery. He's told me the batteries have never been charged and are probably 3 or 4 years old.

Now for some questions...

Aside from a full strip down, clean and rebuild is there anything else that NEEDS to be done before I start running it?

What is the best upgrade, on a budget, that will help speed her up? I guess it's going to be a motor, any decent ones out there?

Will the batteries be dead or will there be life left in them?

If they're useable how best am I to charge them? The charger has a number of functions but which am I best to use?

Am I best to change the connectors on the car and charger or am I better changing the connectors on the batteries to Tamiya ones?

I know it's a lot of questions all at once but any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

• 2 months later...

I know in the first page it says what the upgrades you shoud get. But I am looking so get better run times out of my tt01 and would like more speed but without distroying my diffs every time I run it. It allready has the alloy propshaft. So my question is what is a good all rounder brushless system I have seen a few on modelsport for 70 but not sure if these are any good?

• 3 weeks later...

I know in the first page it says what the upgrades you shoud get. But I am looking so get better run times out of my tt01 and would like more speed but without distroying my diffs every time I run it. It allready has the alloy propshaft. So my question is what is a good all rounder brushless system I have seen a few on modelsport for 70 but not sure if these are any good?

I have been thinking the same thing bud. I was going to put a brushless into my tl-01 but I think I'll stick one in the TT-01 instead due to the fact it's easier to see the motor mesh, better access to battery bay and can place a lipo in there ok.

i have been looking and these http://www.modelsport.co.uk/etronix-photon-2.0-1-10-brushless-system-9.0r/rc-car-products/368725

but these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270941694978?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 seem to be the same but different name

so I'm not sure where to buy yet but modelsport may get it, yeah it's more but you know you will get it lol

I just hope the TT can handle it? maybe update drive shafts at least I think. as the plastic ones may not last long

• 1 month later...

right

the fronts are a perfect match but the rears are off by about an inch. so you can either put a couple more holes in or try and move the mounting posts on the TL-01 backwards a bit

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Currently upgrading my TT-01E and I've bought some new turnbuckle tie rods.  Nothing complicated so far but what the hell is the long one for?  It doesn't connect the steering arms as is won't clear the driveshaft.  It also doesn't come off the steering servo as its the wrong shape and length.

1bd3.jpg

This random piece is really annoying me, ha.  I'll be able to sleep easier at night once I know.  So answers please :)

Edited by Arron99

Damn, what an idiot. You're right.  

I didn't try it as its in bits and i'm waiting for the bearings.  When I looked the bend in the arm from the servo makes it look like it won't fit.

Though the ball cup joints allow the bar to go in at an angle.  

It is a touch longer though, so i'll have to change the offset or the default servo horn position.

Thanks for the help.

• 4 weeks later...

Seeing this thread its just reminded me I have a tt-01 brought the kit including everything even batteries for 65 brand new never thought much of it until I saw you guys obviously still use/ race them think I might have to get it back out of hiding