• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

hpi 4.6 engine problems

ravenguard

hi all need some help please ,just bought a hpi 4.6 engine from Nitroholic checked it over and seems fine apart from the carb seems loose ,tryed tighting witch seems to work.

so fitted in the savvy all good so far , starts ok but dies when i take the glowstart off ,but after about 5 seconds it stays running ,when i go to rev it ,it revs for about a second then goes to high revs but the carb doesnt move,hit the brake and it idols again .seems to idol quite high but im clued on hpi engines so may be normal .

all in all seems like theres not alot of responce from the carb.

check the slider to see if its nice and smooth. if its tight check the low speed needle isn't screwed in too tight, as it can catch the slider.as for dying quickly, that could be the plug on its way out.also there could be an airleak around the carb, as you said it was loose. and that would explain the high idle and eratic response.

I had a simular problem with the one I bought off here. I found I had to ignore the factory settings and run it a lot more rich and it finaly worked it had me pulling my hair out lol. Mine is not flush it is sticking out a little.

daz

get it up on blocks with the wheels well of the ground and get it ticking over now the tricky part give it full revs make sure you hold in place so it doesn't shoot off while at full revs turn the hsn in and the revs should start picking up keep going till you feel its responding the way you want it to but just be careful you don't over rev it.

get it up on blocks with the wheels well of the ground and get it ticking over now the tricky part give it full revs make sure you hold in place so it doesn't shoot off while at full revs turn the hsn in and the revs should start picking up keep going till you feel its responding the way you want it to but just be careful you don't over rev it.

cheers kevill try that after i get a new carb pin found that the carb is loose again

right just fitted the sts carb fits like a glove set it all flush (same as hpi's) tightens up correctly aswel.first start not enough idel so sorted that and too rich lean of a bit,but its running and it idels.

so in the street it goes little more tunning and it seems to be running ok ,doesnt wheelie but that not a problem for me (even noing it has a new clutch shoes fitted)

have to say i can see a diffrence in the touque/speed from an sts28 to a hpi 4.6 ,sts wins hands down