• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Old motors - Jukka Steenari and Team Losi Revolution

jari

some pictures and questions.... as I have been spoilt by brushless and never really had to worry about singles, doubles, triples and turn ratings... all kV now.

I had a job lot of gear off someone who used to race. These two motors stood out and I wonder if anyone knows more about them?

There is

Orion 11 x 2 - Jukka Steenari edition.

Team Losi Revolution.

Both look very clean. Can't make up my mind what to do with them - put into a Lunchbox maybe? seem a little bit more interesting than just another brushless can.

there were also a bunch of dead motors, plus 4 working 27 turn "flux "  motors. these have Epic on the end, made in japan.

The Losi apparently came in a number of different winds, but I have absolutely no idea how to tell. I took the end bell off and have pics. 

Pics:

IMG_20141121_204524032_zpsewdrflzw.jpg

IMG_20141121_204813000_zpsxwwpmztq.jpg

Two loops of copper? Is this a double? What are the cutouts? Is that for balancing? They are a different size on each one.

IMG_20141121_204222504_zpsdbyashhl.jpg

The Orion: Are they timing marks on the cover?

IMG_20141121_204607084_zps4zsirtwj.jpg

Yep as above they are timing marks on the motor.

The 11 turn motor will certainly make your lunchbox shift or wheely on demand! They came with a standard mabuchi 540 if i remember correctly so yeah a lot more power.

They look pretty clean as you say, but i would clean up with electrical cleaner.

make sure your brushes look good and the armature of the motor, may need to be cut for better contact with brushes again, so you gain the performance back of the motor.

Ebay best place for brushes etc

I have some nice vintage motors, they still run perfect. You just have to bear in mind motor/esc/batt technology has moved on loads and really the brushless setup will be your most efficient setup.

Edited by RJJ

thanks for the replies. Some learning for me then. I will keep hold of them.

Old hot motors like these seem like the sort of thing that will disappear in to scrap heaps very quickly if not retained and shown a bit of love and attention. All in the rush to brushless. yet they have more character than the handful of 1/10th scale brushless cans I have.

exactly the same sort of thing that happened to all the early computers and games consoles. One decade ubiquitous, the next decade old and getting thrown out, the next decade people wake up and wonder where on earth they all went. 

slightly off topic.. but I will always regret throwing out (literally) our first computer - an Atari 800. We had an after market external 5 1/4 floppy disk drive with it that went out too. The atari was $1100 (in 1982), the drive was $1500! from memory it was one of Seagate's first products. A proper piece of computer history chucked into landfill :(

• Like 1