• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

TEU 103 vs 106 vs ?

Oh How Original

I'm currently looking into twin motor setups for my 8x8x4.

The current setup is torquey enough, but I'd like to go down a few turns on the motor, to achieve a bit more wheel speed, while retaining the torque, currently on a 45t, thinking perhaps a pair of 35t's would give me what I'm wanting?

I've been doing a fair bit of looking around to find who makes what and what it suits, the Tamiya 103 and 106 seem to be the main ones, but wondering about differences between the two, any advantages to one over the other?

And any other options out their that I've not yet stumbled upon?

Having recently bought the HH TorqueMaster combo, it's nothing major if I don't go down the twin route as I can just give it a whirl on 4s when the combo arrives to see if that gives me what I'm looking to achieve.

But given the choice, would prefer to stay 2s and go twin.

Edited by Oh How Original

106bk replaces the 103bk and is basically the re-issue.As far as i'm aware only the size and weight is a little different,and i don't think either have lipo cut off because a 7.2v is suggested not anything above (not sure if anyone has tried a lipo though). I can confirm they run well though as i had one running in a Clodbuster with a Nimh.

Have a look at Mtroniks/Sonik range and also the HPI dual stuff.Traxxas do one as well but 4's for a 8x8x4 scaler wouldn't go down well in my opinion..

:good:

106bk replaces the 103bk and is basically the re-issue.As far as i'm aware only the size and weight is a little different,and i don't think either have lipo cut off because a 7.2v is suggested not anything above (not sure if anyone has tried a lipo though). I can confirm they run well though as i had one running in a Clodbuster with a Nimh.

Have a look at Mtroniks/Sonik range and also the HPI dual stuff.Traxxas do one as well but 4's for a 8x8x4 scaler wouldn't go down well in my opinion..

:good:

Well at the moment it's slower than walking pace.

I don't want to go down too low on the motor turns and end up losing a lot of the torque.

4s was an idea simply because I have plenty of 2s and 4s but no 3s :lol:

So I'm not going to be ripping it round or anything, just want that bit extra wheelspeed for when I need it, but also retain the torque, for when I need that.

Why don't you think it'd go down well bud?

Just trying to broaden the options a bit, as I don't think this HH combo is going to give me enough wheelspeed.

I would just prefer half throttle to be about walking speed, then I've got that little bit extra just as a back up option.

Advice is muchly appreciated :D

Well I would have done that but I couldn't figure out the DP of the gearing until someone linked the gear calculator to me which is pretty epic, I still need to take the motor back out though to work out the DP of the gearing, then go from there.

Someone else who has the same truck is awaiting the arriving of a 3s though, which will be run on a 35T motor, same as I have coming so he's going to report back the difference it made and I might just go up a tooth or two and add a 3s to the mix :)