• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FPV for Traxxas Summit

smeghead28

Been looking at these just recently and it is in fact a lot easier than I thought.

Seen there are a few complete systems such as the Fatshark ones and they seem to have everything I want except the goggles!

Would prefer a monitor rather than the goggles to be honest.

Is anyone using any of the Fatshark systems or any of the ImmersionRC stuff that is compatible?

Also seems odd that in the UK we are limited to 25mw yet most of the stuff you can buy is over that.

Seeing as the Summit has a 6v lighting system I was thinking of using that to power the transmitter system on the car but would a higher voltage improve the range or does it not matter as long as it is in within the voltage range specified?

I have a few ideas in mind :)

Don't really want a complete system as I don't want the goggles,would prefer to use a monitor to steer by.

I can fit the transmitter part into the car bodyshell itself easily enough and am intending to run it off a small 1000mah 2S lipo as I don't really want any wires between the bodyshell and the chassis.

Also I can wire in the Gopro so I can see where I am going with that and also use it to actually record at the same time.

Right,have made big jumps on with this to the point where it is nearly complete :)

The Gopro is on top as before with a USB lead coming out of that that goes through the roof.

3d42eb343561997.jpg 

The Gopro can still record as before its just now I can see what it is recording.

Underneath the body the wood is there to secure the Gopro mount to and to provide a mounting for the 5.8Ghz transmitter which is the bit with the aerial coming out of it.

The aerial will be repositioned to a better place once I have an extension lead.

It is powered by a 1000mah 2S lipo that is held on with velcro.

The feed from the Gopro is connected to the video inputs on the transmitter.

60f2dd343562317.jpg 

The receiving end is still a mass of wires,I need to come up with some way of mounting this all together in a tidy fashion.

This is powered by a 3S 3000mah lipo as it near as dam it 12v so can power both the monitor and receiver without any other sort of conversion.

142d34343562597.jpg 

This is the view from the Gopro

fe7318343562917.jpg 

All that is left to do is make some sort of base station to house the receiver,monitor,battery and wires.

Looks good! What sort of range are you expecting ?

Not sure to be honest :)

Obviously it works better outside but still needs line of sight really.

If it was used in the air with no obstacles then maybe 1km,if I got half that I would be happy but the car controller would probably go out of range before I loose the video.

I will buy some better aerials at some point as the supplied stick ones are just the cheap stock ones that aren't that good.

just got my system up and running. The fat shark goggles come with a 250mw transmitter and a camera and is plug and play! I upgraded the antenna, camera and went to 600mw transmitter.

Just going to pick up the electric car to give it a test!

Cheers

Hope you are okay with that as anything above 25mw is illegal in Europe.

For the distances I will be covering the 25mw should be okay for me.

Started work on the FPV case.

Will be able to hold the transmitter as well so I will only have to carry that and the car.

bc9c34343989804.jpg 

When closed the screen will go into the void in the foam in the base.

LIkewise the receiver will also fit in the same space as the transmitter and will just sit slightly above it so the two dont touch.

The lipo that will power it will fit in the small slot to the front left.

Its not all finished yet as I have some carbon fibre effect vinyl covering to come that will cover over the plain MDF.

At the moment it is all a dry fit and not wired in.

Well I have been testing the lipos that power the transmitter and receiver and both have so far been going for over 1 1/2 hours which is as long as I have run the car for previously.

There is plenty of battery capacity which is a good thing as I bought both of them without knowing for sure if they would last long enough.

I also bought the extended battery pack for the Gopro which is well up to the job as well,so happy all round :)