• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

decent cheap subs

Savage_Smithy

so the time has come when i get to start my gcse electronics project and i have decided to make a speaker setup with light effects built into the box. dont want to spend too much on the sub though as its on;ly a school project but at the same time i want it look/ sound good because i will probably use it at home once complete. so any suggestions to a powerful enough subwoofer for home use thats cheap and by cheap i mean like under £50

thanks

smithy :good:

Edited by sickass_smithy

question:

what ohms is your amp? that halford speaker be 4 ohm so you'll must likely damage your house amp unless PA amp

Edited by R46

question:

what ohms is your amp? that halford speaker be 4 ohm so you'll must likely damage your house amp unless PA amp

forgot about that lol i was planning to run it on a car ampy hooked up to a 750w pc power supply so could you suggest a cheap amp cabaple of running that sub or any other sub you can suggest ? :)

thanks,

looks ok but i would prob bridge it to get the best from it

yeh thats the plan anyway its not just about getting the most out of it though i think it really needs to be bridged as to not over stress it with tht combination

thanks

looks ok but i would prob bridge it to get the best from it

yeh thats the plan anyway its not just about getting the most out of it though i think it really needs to be bridged as to not over stress it with tht combination

thanks

Just wondering, how are you going to make it so the LED's flash in time with the music?

not entirely sure yet, its my gcse coursework for this year so i have to do research and stuff on that in school :)

its most likely gonna revolve around a programmable picaxe chip that we use in school and it will hopefully have a couple of settings. e.g a sort of led bar sound graph, maybe just a flashing to the beat sort of thing and most importantly OFF lol :good:

Will a PC power supply be able to provide the ampage required by the amp? You'd need to know what the 12v rail on the power supply is capable of supplying. Ideally I guess you'd want it to be able to supply at least the ampage that it would require to blow the fuse in the amplifier, so if you've got a 25 amp fuse then you'd want the 12v rail to be capable of supplying at least 25 amps. Also most car amps run best at over 12v as when the engine is running you're generally seeing somewhere around the 14v mark. Not sure how much strain all this will put on a PC power supply so just be aware and keep an eye (or a nose) out for funny smells!

Will a PC power supply be able to provide the ampage required by the amp? You'd need to know what the 12v rail on the power supply is capable of supplying. Ideally I guess you'd want it to be able to supply at least the ampage that it would require to blow the fuse in the amplifier, so if you've got a 25 amp fuse then you'd want the 12v rail to be capable of supplying at least 25 amps. Also most car amps run best at over 12v as when the engine is running you're generally seeing somewhere around the 14v mark. Not sure how much strain all this will put on a PC power supply so just be aware and keep an eye (or a nose) out for funny smells!

should be fine my psu has a 30amp 12v rail and i have heard of people running 350w car amps on a 250w psu with only a 10amp 12v rail so i should be okay. thanks for your concern and i will keep a check on it just incase :good:

thanks