• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Trophy Truggy and Buggy Owners Club!

henzy190

hi all, im new to the rc world and just absorbing all i can atm...i have a hpi throphy 3.5 version 1 thats standard except for a 2.4ghz receiver with built in failsafe and a stick controller both by etronix, and ive changed the normal AA battery pack to rechargable. Im now looking to upgrade some more beyond the standard first step....i do beleive it has had new knuckles atleast too. but apart from tht all seems to be standard. what should my next upgrade be...i am looking at getting onto a track soon too thats local to me. should i be looking at possibly uprating my arms etc ? i dont want to be spending to much but anything listed wont go unchecked and ponderd on though , i will get some pics up shortly of my car if that helps possibly tomorrow thank you.

hi all, im new to the rc world and just absorbing all i can atm...i have a hpi throphy 3.5 version 1 thats standard except for a 2.4ghz receiver with built in failsafe and a stick controller both by etronix, and ive changed the normal AA battery pack to rechargable. Im now looking to upgrade some more beyond the standard first step....i do beleive it has had new knuckles atleast too. but apart from tht all seems to be standard. what should my next upgrade be...i am looking at getting onto a track soon too thats local to me. should i be looking at possibly uprating my arms etc ? i dont want to be spending to much but anything listed wont go unchecked and ponderd on though , i will get some pics up shortly of my car if that helps possibly tomorrow thank you.

361090508782 these are a must mate

There are no must have or must do upgrades.. If something is continually breaking for you look to upgrade it if on the other hand it's not why waste your money on parts that you may not need ?

The only thing you must do with a trophy is drive it and have some fun !! The rest will come later when you broke it if you break it that is !!

• Like 1

Hi guys I hear what your saying indeed...I'll look at the suspension holders...but im eager to make my battery and receir watertight possibly with the what seems to be a rubber gasket lip for the casing?,

Another thing while im here due to where my previous ariel was and the length of i, I cant get my new shorter one (2.4) to reach enough and give a few inches of Ariel...should I drill a small hole in the lid and then through the shell ?

trophy models now come with a water resistant rx batt box which inlcudes a rubber gasket type seal.  I found thos boxes a PITA cos u had to unscrew the lid to get ya bat out.  I opted for the Hotbodies one (lightning series) which used a body clip.  I never had water issues in mine though I wasn't water skimmin or the likes.

Perhaps get some corrosion x spray ya rx internals and put that in a balloon  as well as one for your battery,. easiest way in my book.

As for ya rx ariel. it'll be fine under the shell just secure it away from the drivetrain with cable tie or the likes.  I had mine secured to the rear brace and interference was not an issue,. massive range.

Fell free to make a hole in ya shell if you prefer but why bother I say.

Edited by Deafty

Hey people. Sort of on and off topic. Anyone in the know how with petitions? I just sent an email to HPI and I reckon TT owners may/may not agree with it. . Email says: Hello there. Is there any chance that the HBS67800 D8T could be put back on sale? Myself and others on forums feel the 113391 - D8T Tessmann Edition is a bit of a rip off price wise for what you get. You would sell a lot more units of the original version because many people would transplant the elecs and engine from their trophy truggy to it because the trophy needs too many upgrades. Consumers would pay

I wouldn't expect much of a response from HPI with those words unfortunately.

No offense but imo that was rather rude and badly written.  I support the notion but not your method.  For now I'm withholding further comment.

Feel free to post the petition link.

• Like 2

Why buy a top end kit to transplant middle of the road running gear into it ? . Either buy the d8 and run a top end truggy or buy the trophy and run a middle of the road truggy.. If you don't like the price buy something else ..

• Like 1

Hi - I took delivery of my Trophy from MS week before last and am getting used to it (and loving it!) - however, can someone please tell e if the ESC fan should be on all the time? I know I have seen it running but it does not run any more - is this a broken fan? Is this normal in under a fortnight or is this a warranty issue? It has flipped a couple of times but has not been jumped etc.. Thanks all!

Hi - I took delivery of my Trophy from MS week before last and am getting used to it (and loving it!) - however, can someone please tell e if the ESC fan should be on all the time? I know I have seen it running but it does not run any more - is this a broken fan? Is this normal in under a fortnight or is this a warranty issue? It has flipped a couple of times but has not been jumped etc.. Thanks all!

It should come on straight away, but it can get blocked up if this is the case it will burn the little motor out on the fan .. It only takes a little twig and a pile of grass clippings etc to clog it out so check its not that frst .. If not then its under warranty so the guys at MS will sort you out easy enough .. But remember these aren't waterproof so if you got it wet then that might void your warranty !!..

Thanks MrDoody - I've dropped MS a line and will see what they stay. I too was worried about a get-out due to water damage but the history here is that it originally worked on 3S but then stopped wen I first used 4S. I assumed this was just how it worked and when I went back to 3S low and behold it started working again. Today on either 3S or 4S it would not work and when running it was slightly unpredictable, such as on full throttle it sometimes was running at less than full speed (obviously so) or would reduce power in the middle of a run. I presume therefore that the ESC may already be partly fried or also and separately damaged??? I hope MS will resolve under warranty as I note that these are circa

My brother in law has a trophy and I'm sure the esc is rated at a continuous 80A. If you have to pay if I was you I'd go for a hobbywing wp-sc8 which is rated at 120A continuous (up to 4s). The bonus with the wp-sc8 is that its waterproof (apart from the fan which you'd remove if you ran it in water). There is also a 150A version (up to 6s) you can get them from eBay for

Edited by optimus

Thanks Optimus - that is very helpful.

I have been in touch with MS who put me in touch with HPI re the existing ESC. They were very helpful and have confirmed that the fan on the standard ESC is NOT supposed to be on all the time but usually does go on on start up. Therefore there should be nothing wrong with it and I can carry on playing! Excellent! But I will keep the advice of an upgrade in mine for future :-)

Thanks again.

Hmm..... will have to see how I get on.....

Thanks again.

PS - Optimus mentioned a 150A 6S ESC - will the standard motor take 6S? From the info I can find on the HobbyWIng 150A 6S ESC looks to me like a good fit but nowhere does the motor actually specify a voltage limit? Same question for the standard servo?

Thinking about getting my truggy running again. Found some cheap complete diffs on ebay I might get and get it more ready to go instead of a "roller that needs work" which I've currently advertised it as. Even thought about getting it completely rtr again? Not sure yet any ideas maybe even a nitro conversion

Hmm..... will have to see how I get on.....

Thanks again.

PS - Optimus mentioned a 150A 6S ESC - will the standard motor take 6S? From the info I can find on the HobbyWIng 150A 6S ESC looks to me like a good fit but nowhere does the motor actually specify a voltage limit? Same question for the standard servo?

I had a look around and the blurb in all the ads for the motor state that its up to 4s. Thing is you can use a 150a esc without issue as that will only provide as much current as the motor will draw. The question would be if the motor could take 6s cells as the higher voltage of the 6s would make the motor rpm be higher for any given throttle opening. I personally use a 150a hobbywing with 4s but my motor is rated up to 6s (castle 1515 2200kv) so I could go up to 6s in future but reading around I would need to gear down from an 18t pinny to something a couple teeth smaller.

I'm still learning myself so I hope this makes sense :)

*edit* the hobbywing will put out the necessary voltage to the servo so you won't end up frying it with a 6s.

Edited by optimus

Thinking about getting my truggy running again. Found some cheap complete diffs on ebay I might get and get it more ready to go instead of a "roller that needs work" which I've currently advertised it as. Even thought about getting it completely rtr again? Not sure yet any ideas maybe even a nitro conversion

I would only do it if you plan to keep it. Theres a roller been on ebay 4 times now with half a car worth of spares and he cant even get

The stock motor will take a 5s and a 6s but its at your own risk i ran mine on 5s and the odd 6s but be careful and watch your temps like a hawk and lower the gearing !!.. 

If your going to buy a new esc then get the Hobbywing Quicrun 150a as its waterproof !!