• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Thunder's 1st Baja - Sheila

Thunderwolf

thanks ahmet smile.gif

semi-nude pic:
100_0936.jpg

reason i got the turtle racing rear shock brace
100_0938.jpg

somthing i need to replace at some point
100_0937.jpg

both turnbuckles are bent, somehow the plastic rod ends are fine but the metal rod have bent? :confused: that ain't right...

and with thanks to Guns, i have got the e-clips replaced so she is all set for a good run on sunday without being slow incase the arms fell off laugh.gif

Edited by Thunderwolf

when you start coming further south mate, north london, while i can get there, leaves my mum and sis with nothing to do, i'm the only one in my family into the hobby :(

They can go to brent cross?

They may be a while though :lol:

one year ago i got a nice big box in the post with this:

DSC00615.jpg

along with afew other little bits.

she has changed in looks alot in the last year.

today i got 2 things in the post, first was a 19t pinion to go with the 55t spur i have and the second being silver alloy wing pins, marking the last of the red on the car (now all black and silver not including the blue on the shell)

and as a its her birthday (kinda) i took her out the moment i was done putting the parts on and gave her a good run, possibly the longest run i've had in the last 2 months.

i did notice a slight issue in running, the first was engine tune was horrid, i have installed a high speed needle that alows me to adjust the tune by hand but i think its causing problems so i've taking it off, tune was fine one moment then crap the next.

second is i think the gearing is too high, you can tell the engine is struggling the moment the clutch engages, so i'll find a 18t and that should be better, its a real shame as the control i gained with the 19/55 setup was pure **** on the brain, not so tame its boring but enough control to make it fun, was such a good improvement.

hopefully getting the 18/56 set up and combining that with some good rear tyres will be a good match.

was great fun other wise and i had alot of fun.

i'm realy gutted this gearing don't work too well sad.gif , realy don't want to put the clutch under too much strain though sad.gif

Edited by Thunderwolf

• 2 weeks later...

thought i'd give abit of an update.

i got a 18t pinion coming now along with some stiffer springs.

the problem i have is i have no idea where to go from here, all the main problems i have had with this have been taken out near enough so now i don't know what to do sad.gif

hop up list:

*REMOVED TO THE COMPETION ON ANOTHER FORUM*

SORRY

Edited by Thunderwolf

Time to T it then.

I was in the same predicament with you, got it to where I wanted it (ultimate basher but looked good on the shelf) with all the parts and what not considered turning it to a T but then also realised I didn't actually enjoy running it anymore so sold it on.

There is tonnes you could do to it, but like you say you don't want to "bling" it up anymore.

Edited by carlcurtis83

was busy taking afew bits off my baja so i could fit my killswitch which has been sitting here for the last 2 weeks and couldn't help but notice a rather stiff driveline.

everything before putting the new gear set on was ok so i started with that to find the pinion and spur mesh so tight it was a stuggle to turn it, so off came the spur to find the i wasn't using the 19/55 gearing i thought i was, i had put the 56t spur on by mistake so was infact running it with 19/56 :rolleyes:

so a quick swap over with the 55t spur and it was moving totaly free once more, will have to see how it now runs as i expect the tight mesh had an impact on the struggle to get going.

and once i get a dremel i'll be able to fit the killswitch how i want, i also need to replace the turnbukles.

• 2 weeks later...

well got afew parts this week.

18t pinion, while the 19/55 set did tame it it struggled to get started.

ddm hd shock springs, the extra weight i've added, perticualy on the front end has stated to make it bottom out much easier than before.

and i also got in the post today some new turnbuckles for my steering linkage from mark

100_0969.jpg

heres them with the stock turnbuckles, don't think i need to mention why i'm replacing them laugh.gif the top tool is what i use to adjust the stockers but with these new one the tool under it is what is now used, there are small drilled out bits on the tunbuckles which this tool has a pin to go in, i'm assuming the other larger side of this tool is for the rear turnbuckles or somthing, simple tool but accualy works rather well.
100_0972.jpg

i also noticed a big difference in weight so i got some scales out:
100_0973.jpg

100_0974.jpg

so thats an extra 32g on the front end, and more weight for the servo to shift when steering, if your racing or weight is important then these may not be the best thing to get.

and here is how she sits now
100_0977.jpg

better look at the new turnbuckles
100_0978.jpg

Edited by Thunderwolf

Look good mate, with regaurd to the steering arms being alot heavier than stock, they are lighter than others out there and i doubt strength would come without weight :(

Looking good mate nice and dirty just how a baja should be :rofl::good:

you should know me glen mate, i cba to be cleaning my cars unlike a certain bigmick lol

tbh i'm going to get a new shell for her, i love this one alot but thats the problem, i keep cleaning it off now and then so i can have its awesomeness on show lol

ok somthing else to add now, orderd the following:

z-rc alloy carb spacer, dotd yesterday

killer rc ssss, dotod today, trooper myself and one other person went in togther.

hostile mx extra hard tyre

hostile hard non growth foams

i think thats everything i got ordered, hostil bits coming from abbots as it was cheapest there from where i looked.

and usa + dotd = the very rare event i'll see somthing i'll acualy want or can accualy use.

well got back from a small bash to test out the gear set, springs and the turnbuckles.

so gear set first, works very well, no strain on the engine that i can tell and while i still got the torque to do doghnuts and the like with alittle throttle control i have the beast tamed very well, hoping the hostile mx tyres will push that tameness i'm after home.

springs, these are quite abit stiffer than stock and have had 2 interesting effects, first is jumping and offroad control is now much better and landing are much smoother by which i mean less of a *thud*, the other effect is while onroad i have a rather good outout of power into movment, this is good but it also gives the small problem of rolling over on turning...

turnbuckles, seem very good, and are not bent.

and i found a weak spot i had fotgotten about until today, after several jumps i finaly did another full speed run for about the 5th time, a 6foot jump landing full on the left front wheel ended up taking it off because of them bloody e-clips, oddly enough said e-clips have been fine for a while now since putting on stronger ones.

so need to sort that out at somepoint.

ok update time, first is i got the non-growth foams and hostile mx extra hard tyres, took me the best part of 90mins to get the bowties off and put these on.

also got the alloy insulator block, pita to put in but i was lazy and still had the car together, but i got it on, came with teflon caskets, they any good or should i change them for somthing else?

also got her out to see what these tyres are like, drove it down the road onto the tarmac area, gripless and no more grip roll, no fun. got her on the grass though and the grip is insane compaired to the bowties, so much grip i can nolonger do donuts :o seems faster aswell which i didn't expect, one thing i did notice with it is the front tyres visably balloon slightly, the rear don't balloon at all as far as i can see.

bad side of things, first is the hinge pins of th elower arms are loosing thier e-clips near enough every single run, got a solution for that in the making though

second problem is the engine bolt on the clutch side has gone along with the spacer that goes under it.

end result is when i put abit of throttle on it moves over to the side, while i looks cool it isn't going to do the clutch spur section very much good

• 2 weeks later...

ok after a engine issue i have added a killer rc ssss pullstart cable, this turned out to be wiser than i though as the stock cord was very frayed, almost half was through in one place...

also got this alloy insulator block on, while starting the run in the bolt holding it on (bolt going into the engine head) came loose causing an air leak, may not know much about petrol engines but at least i knew that so i could stop it, do not want to ruin the piston ring that fast.

i put thread lock on the engine bolts for the first time as they kept coming loose or falling out completly, somthing i've not had a problem with the nitros or leccys i've had.

i currently got a alloy coil spacer (dotd), silverback iner beadlock rings and one other item for somthing i have planned. i'll put the on when/if i can be bothered to do it.

current problems as it stands.

hingepins, another first for me, the e-clips on the hinge pins, the front in perticular, keep coming off, which is annoying as i can see it breaking my suspention arms (which are still stock and working fine i may add)

second problem is i have 4 of 8 screws missing, these hold on the engine, i lost the spacers on it, i now have new ones and now need to find some scres that will fit.

screws i need are one going in from the gear plate into the cluch carrier, one going up through the main chassis into the clutch holder and the 2 scres that go into the fan cover at the sides.

problem is i would seem a hard hit has broken the one to the front of the car, so to use that one i need a new fan cover and half of the lower engine section (going around the flywheel)

i'll get afew pics once i'm done putting the parts on and that, just need to get it ready for sunday.