• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

optifuel

animal47

i have started to use optifuel 20% as it is what my lhs always keep in stock but cant believe how smokey it is, it isnt too bad at all on my sh.28 or my savage 4.6 but on both my force.36 and my mgt 8.0 it smokes like hell especially on the 8.0 which i guess makes sence as it is the biggest and thirstiest out of my engines.

i have just been out setting up my mgt 8.0 after sealing it up and tried to lean it out enough to try and get it running a bit cleaner but it isnt having any of it, i have to keep it rich to keep temps down and even then it is still up around 270-280. it runs very well providing that you dont leave it idling for very long as it dies when you pull away after being left to idle for a bit. leaning the lsn didnt appear to help although perhaps i may have a damaged lsn needle i guess.

anyone else have this issue with optifuel.

ive got hpi fuel , it smokes like crazy. my hyper was running very lean when i changed from 16% to 25%. i even richend both needles . almost cooked my engine . a hole turn out on the lsn and now she is moving fast. very smokey at the bottom end . i thought my engine was too rich with the amount of smoke coming out , then i looked at the forum and happy days . got my car set sweet. smoking , but shifting ................nice . thanks to all you guys ive saved my engine ...........lol

Edited by bagster

Optifuel RTR and HPI fuel are exactly the same blend,it's made by Optifuel for HPI,they say it's based on Optifuel and thats who they worked with but thats BS,another money maker for both parties,HPI get their own fuel and Optifuel get a percentage for making it and allowing HPI to lob their own label on the bottle,I guess they must have lost confidence in the others they used,I know HPI did recommend Toranado at one point when they were in the wilderness.

The reason it smokes so badly is because of the oil blend,they use Klotz oil which is a synthetic oil and thus Optifuel has no mineral castor oil content at all which I don't like the idea of,to be honest as long as I get access to Byron or even Modelsports Pro blend of MT,i'll not bother even trying it,I prefer a castor based lubricant to be present as well as a synthetic additive,don't think I could handle all that smoke from Optifuel as well plus it draws even more attention for those who already find reason to complain.

The time will come when O'Donnells will be available again,just have to wait and hope,best race and RTR fuel i've used,the others I found very good were Byron Race and Gen 2,Tornado in certain engines (HPI) and Modelsports Pro blend of Model Technics at 25%,all this stemmed from a mini test I did a couple of years ago not long after Gen 2 was released,I had Byron's Gen 2,O'Donnells Race,Modelsports Professional,Tornado Race and Orion Black Demon,all at 25% and all were very similar in the performance stakes,the more refined fuels like O'D's,Byron and Tornado were the ones I found the most effective but the others weren't that far behind in all honesty.

Everyone has their favourites and Optifuel has become popular more because of the fact they've cornered the market in the UK,ever since HPI bought out Mirage,thats when it all changed,O'Ds got dropped and HPI brought in their own brand,even Tornado has ceased to be in all the online shops inventories and I haven't seen Black Demon since then when I tried it at 25%,that was a good fuel and very well priced,I used their 16% 2ltr bottles and they were £8ea and dropped on Multibuy,a great fuel I found but O'Donells is my all time personal favourite for sure,I know you get more for your money with Optifuel and MS Professional Model Technics but I don't mind the US gallons,it still lasts me ages and I just buy 2 gallon at a time....smile.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Optifuel RTR and HPI fuel are exactly the same blend,it's made by Optifuel for HPI,they say it's based on Optifuel and thats who they worked with but thats BS,another money maker for both parties,HPI get their own fuel and Optifuel get a percentage for making it and allowing HPI to lob their own label on the bottle,I guess they must have lost confidence in the others they used,I know HPI did recommend Toranado at one point when they were in the wilderness.

The reason it smokes so badly is because of the oil blend,they use Klotz oil which is a synthetic oil and thus Optifuel has no mineral castor oil content at all which I don't like the idea of,to be honest as long as I get access to Byron or even Modelsports Pro blend of MT,i'll not bother even trying it,I prefer a castor based lubricant to be present as well as a synthetic additive,don't think I could handle all that smoke from Optifuel as well plus it draws even more attention for those who already find reason to complain.

The time will come when O'Donnells will be available again,just have to wait and hope,best race and RTR fuel i've used,the others I found very good were Byron Race and Gen 2,Tornado in certain engines (HPI) and Modelsports Pro blend of Model Technics at 25%,all this stemmed from a mini test I did a couple of years ago not long after Gen 2 was released,I had Byron's Gen 2,O'Donnells Race,Modelsports Professional,Tornado Race and Orion Black Demon,all at 25% and all were very similar in the performance stakes,the more refined fuels like O'D's,Byron and Tornado were the ones I found the most effective but the others weren't that far behind in all honesty.

Everyone has their favourites and Optifuel has become popular more because of the fact they've cornered the market in the UK,ever since HPI bought out Mirage,thats when it all changed,O'Ds got dropped and HPI brought in their own brand,even Tornado has ceased to be in all the online shops inventories and I haven't seen Black Demon since then when I tried it at 25%,that was a good fuel and very well priced,I used their 16% 2ltr bottles and they were