• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Sport Tuned / GT Tuned Motors

Virdi

Hi all,

What are the main differences between these two motors?

Which one is better? i.e. Which one will make my car go faster? :)

Thanks

TA53068-2.jpg

The Sport Tuned motor is 23t, and has fixed brushes, so when they wear out, you have to bin the motor. It has bronze bushings in each end, and despite all that, its a pretty nice motor for light chassis (perfect for Tamiya Mini's).

TA53779-2.jpg

The GT Tuned motor is 25t, and has replaceable brushes, so it'll be only

the GTT is more torquey than the ST, so you could pull a higher gear ratio and theoretically go faster than with the ST.

ooo so a more torquey motor can use higher GR?

coz my motor has 145nm/m torque according to there website

and 33,200 rpm

so instead of using 6.85 i could use 6.45 as its got the torque to get the car moving quicker?

thus giving me a higher top end?

That's perfect answer!!

Thanks!

Why are Tamiya Motors so much more expensive than Ansmann?

Ansmann motors usually come from Taiwanese or Chinese factories and cost very little to make. Tamiya motors usually come from Mabuchi (like the Sport Tuned) or TOP (like the GT Tuned) in Japan, and cost more to make.

ooo so a more torquey motor can use higher GR?

coz my motor has 145nm/m torque according to there website

and 33,200 rpm

so instead of using 6.85 i could use 6.45 as its got the torque to get the car moving quicker?

thus giving me a higher top end?

Thats the theory, yes. Sometimes though, the powerband of the motor doesn't always allow you to gear it up, so its best to do some trial and error testing, if the motor gets too hot then its a bit overgeared for what it can pull.

Ansmann motors usually come from Taiwanese or Chinese factories and cost very little to make. Tamiya motors usually come from Mabuchi (like the Sport Tuned) or TOP (like the GT Tuned) in Japan, and cost more to make.

Thats the theory, yes. Sometimes though, the powerband of the motor doesn't always allow you to gear it up, so its best to do some trial and error testing, if the motor gets too hot then its a bit overgeared for what it can pull.

well when raceing last friday, motor hardly got hot, tbh id say it was warm

although it did spend alot of its time like a turtle on its back!!

STUCK!! lol

Where on the longest straight did the car stop accelerating? You want it to top out about 2/3rds - 3/4's of the way down the longest straight, that way its not spending all its time forever accelerating (overgeared), but not revving the nuts off too (undergeared).

Where on the longest straight did the car stop accelerating? You want it to top out about 2/3rds - 3/4's of the way down the longest straight, that way its not spending all its time forever accelerating (overgeared), but not revving the nuts off too (undergeared).

tbh i dont think it did top out

or if it did, i didn't notice

the track aint that big tbh, so im tempted to downgear to 7.2FDR

and just leave it @ that

The Tamiya Super Stock 23T motors are excellent and produce both high torque and decent RPM (about 26,000). See fusion hobbies for a good price. A big jump from the stock silver can and runs OK on the standard Tamiya ESC - if a little hot.

The Tamiya Super Stock 23T motors are excellent and produce both high torque and decent RPM (about 26,000). See fusion hobbies for a good price. A big jump from the stock silver can and runs OK on the standard Tamiya ESC - if a little hot.

yeah those super stock tamiya motors are meant to be good, they are only about

...So are these Tamiya 'Super Stock' motors even better than the GT and Sport Tuned?

They go upto 27,500 RPM..??? That's very high? Does that mean they'll make the car go quicker??

...So are these Tamiya 'Super Stock' motors even better than the GT and Sport Tuned?

They go upto 27,500 RPM..??? That's very high? Does that mean they'll make the car go quicker??

Yep! :P

so my 33,200 rpm motor will help my car achieve top speed quicker?

I am not quite sure what you are saying - reaching top speed quicker means quicker acceleration. Better acceleration is achieved by reducing the size of the pinion gear, which will also reduce the overall top speed. The 23T superstock motors can be geared fairly high (big pinion) compared to say a 15T motor, at the same time they have the torque to give good acceleration even with that bigger pinion. Lower turn motors need to be geared lower (small pinion) as they have less torque than higher turn motors.

I bought a cheap 12T double motor for my Rustler once and although it revved at 42,000rpm I had to gear it so low to get the acceleration I needed, the top speed was no higher than the 23T superstock and the torque was not as good any way.

I am not quite sure what you are saying - reaching top speed quicker means quicker acceleration. Better acceleration is achieved by reducing the size of the pinion gear, which will also reduce the overall top speed. The 23T superstock motors can be geared fairly high (big pinion) compared to say a 15T motor, at the same time they have the torque to give good acceleration even with that bigger pinion. Lower turn motors need to be geared lower (small pinion) as they have less torque than higher turn motors.

I bought a cheap 12T double motor for my Rustler once and although it revved at 42,000rpm I had to gear it so low to get the acceleration I needed, the top speed was no higher than the 23T superstock and the torque was not as good any way.

doh forgot to add

33,200 rpm. 145nm/m torque on a 27T motor

I've noticed something similar...

My Tamiya Sport Tuned Motor feels quicker than my Ansmann 15 Turn..... The Ansmann has slow acceleration