• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

savage questions from savage newbie

c0sie

to actual savage owners only please....

what differnt types of savage are there?..

which are 2wd and which are 4wd?..

what engines do they come with?..

what are they each like as standard?..

which are RTR and which are unbuilt kits?..

which hop ups are the most IMPORTANT (not just cos they look nice)?..

what prices are they set at in the uk?..

cheers for anyone who takes the time to answer my questions

Different types: Savage 21 RTR, Savage SS, Savage 25 RTR, Savage SS 4.6.

The SS kits are the build it yourself kits and obviously the rtr's are not, they are all 4wd, 21 comes with the 21BB engine, the SS comes i beleive with or without the Nitro star 25, the 25 RTR comes with the Nitro star 25, and the 4.6 comes with the K 4.6 .28.

Most of the new savvys come with the important hop-ups already, like the servo saver and the most important i think the spider diffs, tank guard also helps loads, and the center bash plate really helps to protect your discs if you have them, and the steering servo. The front and rear are a waste of time really (Ally ones).

Prices vary really but the .25 RTR are about £330 ish and the SS depends wether you get the engine or not. I beleive the new SS when it is out will be around £370 but looks like modelsport will have a decent offer on em.

Hope that covers most things m8, i've probably missed something lol.

Different types of Savage. Savage 21, 25, 25SS and 4.6SS.

All are 4wd.

Savage 21 comes with HPI Nitro star 21 bb, 25 and 25SS come with Nitro star 25, 4.6SS comes with the K4.6.

They all get better, in the order I listed them, ie. the 25SS is better than the 25.

The Savage 21 and 25 are the RTR's, the Kit's the the SS (Super Sport) models, however they do come with great instructions.

Most important hopup's.......it depends on which car, but I have a link which will tell you ALL of them, can't post it, PM me if you want to know.

I'd say they include a better pipe (except the SS models), better engine (except the K4.6), the engines are the most reliable in the industry though, not really neded on the 25 but some like more power. 4 spyder diff's, (void on 4.6), better wheel's/tires (void on 4.6), could say alot more but it depends on what you want to do with the car.

Prices are good in the UK at the minite. You could pick up a Savage 25 for something like £350!

Thanks

so does the 25SS not come with an engine then?..okiedoke.

so whats the 25 like as an rtr kit?.

and unbiasedly, would you say there was a better monstor truck out than the savage?..unbiased opinions though please guys.

thanks for the replys so far though =)

I personally think the savage is the best truck out there, due to durability, the LST does come with more features as standard, but you pay extra for them, and don't think its anywere near as tough, thats from personal experiances.

The SS Can either come with or without an engine, under £300 with. The 25 RTR is a great truck, now has the cam servo saver and also the spider mod standard, but i would wait for the 4.6

I too think the savvy is the best truck out,I have the 21 and have seen many vids of the 25 and see no difference in performance to mine, personally I'd go for an rtr, you may be able to get the 21 cheap now? but I think the 25 comes with a roto start which some peeps don't like.

The savage rulez -long live hpi !!

I have both, LST and Savage. Haven't been able too choose a favorite so far, well TBH LST is fav at minite as I am having trouble with my Savage's engine, but everyone gets a bit ****** when they're having problems.

I would love to say the Savage is the best MT in the market, but it is not. I have been able to compare it to the LST for a few months now and the LST is without a doubt the better car. To name but a few advanatages:

1.Faster, more powerful engine. Some of the early engines had problems with the engines having loose shavings in them, I think this problem has been mostly eradicated by now though.

2.Very nice 4 speed thingamajig. This gives you a High/low setting that changes the gears for you, on the Savvy you have to spend half an hour doing this, on the LST you just turn a screw. This means you can use a high speed gear for road driving and then just switch gears if you decide to take your car in woods or something.

3.Much, MUCH better handling than the Savage. The breaks while still needing improvment are considerably better than the Savvy's stock breaks. The LST handles like a light 10th scale car, it turns well at high speeds and the reverse module makes it even easier to move around. The twin servo's are fast and make the handling more suitable to off-road driving than the Savvy's as the wheels can turn into hills easier.

Altogether the LST is just a better performer. It is more expensive but to get the Savvy to be as good as the LST you'd have to spend a lot more than the difference between the prices.