• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Deciding on a brushless motor/esc setup.

Alvarez

So i'm completely new to the crawler/trail scene and have just purchased myself an Element Enduro Knightrunner trail truck.
I'm planning on replacing the stock brushed setup for a brushless but am stuck on the fence about which one to buy.
I am leaning towards the Hobbywing Axe systems but unsure which KV rating is best suited for general trail running. It wont be scaling large rock faces at all, more like going along dog/mountain bike trails so maybe a bit of extra speed would be a good thing.

Simply put, if it was up to you what setup would you go with.
Thanks for any help 🙂

No idea, but am curious to see what folk recommend.

I believe sensored is the way to go in a crawler? That won’t be cheap, so you might want to stay with brushed motors?

• Like 1

Thanks for the help, I have added the 2300kv Axe to my MS wishlist and will put an order in for it next payday.

I have plenty of pinions in my spares box so I can fine tune the speed if need be. Can't wait to get the truck out for a spin!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alvarez said:

Just a follow up on this thread.
I purchased the 2100kv Axe from Modelsport and fitted it to the Knightrunner.

Took it out for a trail walk during the week and it was awesome! Power delivery is so smooth! the stock Reedy brushed setup was no slouch either but this HW setup is just leagues ahead.

It just pushed and pushed and being able to connect to the ESC using my phone and the HW app means I could fine tune it's parameters deep in the middle of a forest (which I did as I felt the reverse gear was a little too punchy)

Run time was well over 1 hour on a 2s 5000mah lipo, there was plenty of juice left in the battery for the MT10 to do a few backflips on the BMX jumps afterwards too.

20211113_142217.jpg

Awesome, they really are nice eh, just watch your ring and pinion diffs, my axe ate the front diff reversing out a hole, the hardened ones are worth the investment now you got massive power 🙂

• Like 2