• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Comet shock alternatives?

Cleaned the sand off the car after this weekends bashing session. Took the springs off the shocks and the fronts had no resistance at all and didn't spring back. Filled with some 25W oil this evening and they are leaking. The shocks are only cheaply made and it seems like the upper barrel has a seam which is slightly split. So the oil is seeping out.

Could replace with standard ones, but this is likely to happen again. Would rather upgrade to something more durable. Had a browse on ModelSport but not sure where to start.

The Comet ones fully assembled measure 7cm on the fronts and 8cm rear.

The shocks on ModelSport don't seem to give an overall length, so I can't gage what would be suitable.
Did look at FTX Carnage ones, which are adjustable and better quality. But can't find the length anywhere.

Any ideas what might fit?

I've trawled through eBay and found some aluminium adjustable ones.
The best China has to offer 🙄

Will have to see what they are like - if they turn out to be no good I'll go back to the standard FTX ones.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Phil.

The ones I got from eBay didn't really do the job. They were a thinner bore than the stock ones so I had to go back to the standard parts.