• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

DIY battery packs

NitroPete83

Hi all,

Just wondered how many of you make your own battery packs. I have made a few prototype 2s and 3s packs, they work well but I dont think the lithium cells are the greatest for discharge rates. I was going to order some new 3000mah cells with 30c discharge just to see how they perform.

Cheers,

Pete

Hi,

I am currently experimenting with various 18650 Li-Ion cells (are you defining Lipos as pouch cells?) that I have acquired from ebikes and alike. The Samsung  INR cells are far better than the others although capacity is a mere 2000mAh whereas some of the unknown brands are tested at a capacity of 2200 or more. I think the discharge is only about 5C though which would make sense for the 250W ebike motor. 

I was looking over the weekend at some of the newer cells available, the 20700 and 21700 with discharge rates of 30C continuous and 65C bursts. The capacity is also up to 4000mAh and for £5-8 per cell,  I think I could make a DIY pack for less than a similar 3s 4000mAh pack. 

The Molicel P42A 21700 Battery was recommended to me by a forum member a week or so back.  Mine arrived on Friday so I'm hoping to find so time this week to put some packs together.  I got them from Fogstar with a 20% discount made them £7.20 per cell which seemed decent for a 4200mAh 30A.

Please let me know how your pack works out, I was thinking that at the very least a couple of 2S emergency packs would fit in mine and my sons car and would still be dirt cheap compared to shop bought packs. How do you connect them together, do you have a spot welder or solder them?

I did think about spot welding as it seems fairly straight forward to build one, but in the end I decided I'm going to solder.  Because of that I've gone with a copper strip to connect them rather than the thin nickel tape that the spot welders use.  I'll let you know how I get on.  The only possible issue I've noticed is that they may be a bit of a tight squeeze in my son's WLtoys 12429... the battery tray is a fairly snug fit for the 18650 2S pack it came with.