• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Is this a good beginner guide to tuning?

joe grinstead

https://www.worldofrcparts.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=15

Is this a decent guide to begin tuning? Recently bought an hpi trophy 3.5 and a hyper 7 tq sport second hand and got them both running but want to look after them tuning wise and hopefully thats a decent guide to start 🤷‍♂️

Its an art for sure I never got it down but that flow chart helped me more than anything. I never really sat with a spare bottle of fuel and just played with tuning though i always just got it OK then tried to leave it alone. Ide say play with it get it OK then take it back and forth until you understand it better. 

I definitely got a better ear for it but alot of my issues turned out to be glow plugs using the wrong kind and using cheap ebay os8 plugs I think they was actually my worst problem. I'm now convinced they were fakes for a start. 

Defo make sure you have good plugs and long reach plugs if long reach are needed like traxxas engines  

I think the engines you have are work horse engines tho force engines mayb they'll be tons of info on those. Best plugs. Factory settings etc. 

Air leaks can be a real pita too usually from the front bearings behind the flywheel. But many say that's a last resort thing try blocked fuel lines, reset to factory settings. Plugs, tuning then go looking for Leaks. 

If an engine runs well for around 5min then acts up that could be worn out piston sleeve once hot and metals expand the compression falls. Once the engine is cool again it will have compression again and act ok till warmed up. 

I tried for a long time to keep enthusiasm for nitro but the problems just beat me in the end lol. Nitro beat me so I'm not the most knowledgeable. But long story short that flow chart helped me with tuning more than anything else. I should have just practiced with it more I think. 

47 minutes ago, RCbutcher said:

Its an art for sure I never got it down but that flow chart helped me more than anything. I never really sat with a spare bottle of fuel and just played with tuning though i always just got it OK then tried to leave it alone. Ide say play with it get it OK then take it back and forth until you understand it better. 

I definitely got a better ear for it but alot of my issues turned out to be glow plugs using the wrong kind and using cheap ebay os8 plugs I think they was actually my worst problem. I'm now convinced they were fakes for a start. 

Defo make sure you have good plugs and long reach plugs if long reach are needed like traxxas engines  

I think the engines you have are work horse engines tho force engines mayb they'll be tons of info on those. Best plugs. Factory settings etc. 

Air leaks can be a real pita too usually from the front bearings behind the flywheel. But many say that's a last resort thing try blocked fuel lines, reset to factory settings. Plugs, tuning then go looking for Leaks. 

If an engine runs well for around 5min then acts up that could be worn out piston sleeve once hot and metals expand the compression falls. Once the engine is cool again it will have compression again and act ok till warmed up. 

I tried for a long time to keep enthusiasm for nitro but the problems just beat me in the end lol. Nitro beat me so I'm not the most knowledgeable. But long story short that flow chart helped me with tuning more than anything else. I should have just practiced with it more I think. 

Ok man yeah that chart seems cool, although if its accurate I like the "pinch test" on the first description as it doesnt require you to have "an ear" for the right sounds so good for beginners, like I said if its accurate. Thanks man. What you've said is what I want to avoid so I can get the best out of it and enjoy the hobby haha