• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas TRX-4 G500 Upgrade/Rebuild Project

Jens

Coming close to completion.

At least for the Chassis.

Heavy duty drive shafts:

IMG-4895.jpg

( I know... The rusty motor spoils the view )

IMG-4896.jpg

First time I had a closer look at the clearance. Portals really make a difference...
IMG-4897.jpg

IMG-4898.jpg

@DartmoorTrails:

I ordered them via Aliexpress.

Not only bling but stainless steel. Really heavy and in my opinion indestructible.

And also important: Stronger Kardan joints instead of ball joints. Just like with real cars.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001026915371.html?spm=2114.13010708.0.0.64f74c4dC9sgtF

The only drawback is that they are quite thick and I had some fitting problem. Needed to grind off a bit from the gear housing above.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jens said:

@DartmoorTrails:

I ordered them via Aliexpress.

Not only bling but stainless steel. Really heavy and in my opinion indestructible.

And also important: Stronger Kardan joints instead of ball joints. Just like with real cars.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001026915371.html?spm=2114.13010708.0.0.64f74c4dC9sgtF

The only drawback is that they are quite thick and I had some fitting problem. Needed to grind off a bit from the gear housing above.

Thanks Jens, i like that they're a proper spline and not just a 'notch' as most aftermarket shafts.

• 4 weeks later...

Body shell wired up!!

IMG-5050.jpg

That took me a while to get it done.

First I had the Traxxas light kit. Just to learn that it follows the American way: No orange rear indicators.

Then I got the Chinese kit with rear indicators and the daylight driving lights on a separate cable to the headlights.

However, since I need to power all LEDs from single 3V supply I couldn't put that voltage on the red taillights or the orange indicators.

So I ordered 3mm orange LEDs and 5mm read LEDs and soldered a 47Ohm resistor on them.

Now I can power them with 3V.

Next I need to fix a Molex plug to all the cables so that I can easily remove the shell from the chassis.