• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

ARRMA Kraton EXB - Extreme Bash Roller Speed Truck

Fly In My Soup

43 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

Your soon find out for sure I’ll be opening mine up to check before running it mind as you never know with Arrma 😂👍

Mine just arrived, will also take the rear diff out once i got time. 

41 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

I just bought a max6 so care to share the technique for fitting it, if there is one lol 

Not much to it. If you look at the ESC tray, there's a lip towards the motor mount. You have to cut/dremel/grind/sand that away. This one.

1248947237_Screenshot2020-12-10082735.thumb.jpg.f1026874b3a90a218d95fcd0a59e142e.jpg

I think it does fit even without grinding it down, if i recall correctly it's usually the motor wires being too short for it to mount right there. You just got to drop the motor in, slap the ESC in that place (it'll fit without modification if i'm not mistaken), and see if the motor wires are long enough to reach the ESC. If not, that  lip has to go. Double sided tape, done. Or, if you wanna be fancy, there's a adapterplate on thingieverse, you could have @Paul Busby 3d print that. It's a plate that adapts the mounting pattern to a Max6 mounting pattern. 

Looks like this one. 

knnr4A9.jpg

• Like 1

If you are using the HW 4985 the motor wires are just a tiny bit short if you don’t trim the lip off, plus with the lip off you can get more contact area for double sided tape. I used Vhb tape, the screws with rip out of the mount before the esc becomes unstuck 😂

• Haha 1

I just bought a max6 so care to share the technique for fitting it, if there is one lol 
These guys have all covered it pretty well so far. You can also fit at 90° to the stock position, with the motor power sockets next to the side tray, but obviously you then may need extensions.

If you do want an adapter plate, just let me know. Could print one off today.

I have been working on an extended ESC tray to fit it with less faffing about trimming the lip but so far haven't got the measurements quite right... It's a surprisingly hard part to get right.
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Gonna be interesting to route that servo cable.. Pops out uncomfortably close to the front driveshaft.

Yeah, I have the Titanium driveshafts which are thicc boys, so it's even more uncomfortable! I havent seen anyone mention it as a problem, mind.

I solved it using a nylon cable clip but its impossible to take a photo of without dismantling the truck. I'm trying to find a link for what I used, it's sorta like a cable tie base, but just a clip that you slide the cables into.

Suppose I could print something to attach to the bottom of the servo mount to guide it 😁

Edit: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172334991768?var=471155312552&mkevt=1&mkcid=28&chn=ps

Edited by Paul Busby

I'll get creative bud, cheers. Having the servo bolted in properly now, it's actually okay, though not much wiggle room.

Now to figure out if that MMX came with double sided tape, can't find it?

1 minute ago, m4inbrain said:

I'll get creative bud, cheers. Having the servo bolted in properly now, it's actually okay, though not much wiggle room.

Now to figure out if that MMX came with double sided tape, can't find it?

If not, the Gorilla mounting tape is excellent for these purposes. Clean with rubbing alcohol, lightly heat the surfaces, stick it down hard... will never come off unless you want it too :)

On 10/12/2020 at 08:51, m4inbrain said:

In regards to the rear diff:

H0dRCcY.jpg

Saves me the hassle of getting shims if necessary. Nice touch.

Was that included in the kit bought from modelsport?

What electrics did you go for?

7 minutes ago, Skynet5 said:

Was that included in the kit bought from modelsport?

What electrics did you go for?

I bought from wheelspin, but i assume that's in all of them.

In regards to electrics:

Something different. :)

16 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

I bought from wheelspin, but i assume that's in all of them.

In regards to electrics:

Something different. :)

Just read your thread. Interesting , mt410 is my other thought. I already have an eb48 2.0 so keeping in the same brand is tempting, just because support and supplies from rprc is so good.

Decisions decisions.

Depends on what you want to do. The EXB can hold more power, and the purpose for this build was just that. 

The MT410 certainly is a good choice too, just wasn't the right one for me at this point.

27 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Depends on what you want to do. The EXB can hold more power, and the purpose for this build was just that. 

The MT410 certainly is a good choice too, just wasn't the right one for me at this point.

There is a dude on the Tekno bashing Facebook groups with an MMX8S in his righ, lots of very custom work done to it, and he managed to get 8hp through the drive train 😂

Ordinarily though, its a 4S truck, 6S if you buy some of the optional extras such as steel spur and diff cases.

10 hours ago, Skynet5 said:

Just read your thread. Interesting , mt410 is my other thought. I already have an eb48 2.0 so keeping in the same brand is tempting, just because support and supplies from rprc is so good.

Decisions decisions.

This Arrma certainly isn’t of Tekno quality comparing my Mt410 to My EXB Tekno certainly have the edge on parts quality but then again the Tekno is more money so you’d expect that to be the case 👍

This exb will need 6s for sure the Mt410 only needs 4s so that’s also something to factor 👍 same as the mt410 will need wheels tyres a body shell and paint where as this doesn’t. 👍

As someone who owns both an MT410 and a "Full Option" Kraton, I can honestly say that I can't pick between them in terms of a favourite. The MT410 drives like what it is, an elite level race buggy, with big truggy arms, and big wheels... on steroids... it's bonkers. I just like to the way it drives, it's super smooth and precise. You have loads of control in any circumstance, even in the air with the smaller MT wheels. You still want to jump it, but everything feels a bit more elegantly poised with the Tekno.

The Kraton on the other hand is more of a pure bred hooligan, It's not really refined at all. Sure, it has design and adjustment that's hung on from it's Team Durango roots but its mostly been stripped out for more cost efficient production (biggest annoyances are the servo saver and the steering posts IMO, I use Durango ones). It's a very raw truck, and when you drive it is just cries out to be jumped as high as you can possibly get it to jump, go as fast as you can possibly get it to go, and do skids and far as you can make it skid.

But I have owned my Kraton over a year now, and have been CONSTANTLY tweaking it to get it the way I like it, it took ages, lots of daft little problems halting my bash sessions, and a lot of mods. The Tekno on the other hand, was wonderful from the minute I put a battery in there.

Costwise at this stage, given the Kraton breaks and the Tekno just... doesn't... probably not dissimilar after 1 year of ownership. The EXB does change things, as it has a lot of the options I bought as extra equipped from the get go.

4 minutes ago, Skynet5 said:

Max8 with 2200 and 6s a good combo? modelsport think so...

It's ok. The Kraton is a bit of a chunk though. The Max8 and 2200kv will definitely do the job, but you will likely end up with a tiny pinion and some hot electrics.

I'd go Max 6 and a motor with a KV somewhere between 1600-2000. That gives you a few more gearing options.

6 hours ago, Skynet5 said:

Max8 with 2200 and 6s a good combo? modelsport think so...

Owning a recent version I can confirm the diffs are sorted the shims are including in case you wish to add more due to manufacturing tolerance in the plastics. It’s just a safety net in case is all 

Motor wise yeah the 2200 combo is fine these are geared low so you’ll have a few gearing options, unless your going to go with a bigger motor can down the road the 150a max8 is fine it’s practically what the use from the factory in the rtr rigs 👍

Dont get suckered into the must have rubbish use it enjoy it and upgrade it as and when or if needed 👍👍

• Like 1

@m4inbrain "that's the reason why i didn't buy a release EXB - but the second batch (12-16th of december) is fixed."

Is there a way to know if I have the 2nd batch when I receive the box today from Modelsport?

Thanks

Edited by Tony