• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Herbie the Volkswagen Beetle Rally Car MF-01X

Jenny

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I went with box art for mine but I’d like to do another shell for it, don’t know if I want another beetle or something different. I’ve got an Alpine A110 shell that I’ve never painted so that seems the obvious choice but that’s a shorter wheelbase so couldn’t just swap between them at a whim. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oodboo said:

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I went with box art for mine but I’d like to do another shell for it, don’t know if I want another beetle or something different. I’ve got an Alpine A110 shell that I’ve never painted so that seems the obvious choice but that’s a shorter wheelbase so couldn’t just swap between them at a whim. 

Thank you :)  yours looks fab love it..  is it quick ?   i'm sure there is a fair few shells that you can use.  Over on RC Kicks the channel owner has mounted a Porsche 959 retro body on his. 

It was quick enough to start with but I started experimenting with speed. I tried it on 3s and I tried some different brushed motors I had lying round. For me the right balance for speed vs drivability is a 20t pinion with the standard torque tuned motor running on. 2s lipo.

The Porsche body sounds interesting, I used to love that car but never owned one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oodboo said:

It was quick enough to start with but I started experimenting with speed. I tried it on 3s and I tried some different brushed motors I had lying round. For me the right balance for speed vs drivability is a 20t pinion with the standard torque tuned motor running on. 2s lipo.

The Porsche body sounds interesting, I used to love that car but never owned one.

I will be just running it standard , did you ball race your one ??

Got a little it done today , ordered a few bearing's and a Hop Up Prop shaft as only had 14 ,1150 ball races that were purchased for another build that never came off. 

The MF-01X Chassis uses 24 bearings in total , so 6 short on 1150 & 4 x 850's 

Seen a You Tube video that you can get loads of Hop Ups for this so that might be something to look into later on ..  

IMG_20200503_163606.jpg

IMG_20200503_175523.jpg

IMG_20200503_201625.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, oodboo said:

I never start a tamiya build without a set of bearing for it. Much easier to put them in while building than to add them later.

I have 14 x 1150 bearings rubber sealed so ordering up the rest , like you say wise move before its together ..  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looks really nice, I put a Beetle shell on my Hornet back in the late eighties, painted in electric blue, keep looking at this or a monster beetle to build for my son.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ag100 said:

Looks really nice, I put a Beetle shell on my Hornet back in the late eighties, painted in electric blue, keep looking at this or a monster beetle to build for my son.

Thank you :) I just love Volkswagen Beetles , i'm sure your Son will love it too