• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

MacStar 28 Just won't hold a tune.

ldyte1

• 3 months later...

With all the symptoms you are having it is the same as my macstar 28 the problem with mine is loss of compression especially when hot due to a score mark on my piston I’m just bashing it until it blows then I will upgrade it ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/01/2019 at 12:46, debo said:

With all the symptoms you are having it is the same as my macstar 28 the problem with mine is loss of compression especially when hot due to a score mark on my piston I’m just bashing it until it blows then I will upgrade it ?

Hmm, it certainly is a pain in the arse engine. Just started up today, first start in about 2 or so months. There now seems to be a leak/fuel common from the top of the head. Think im just going to do the same as you haha, bash it till it dies, not worth anything on ebay is it? Also what engine do you plan to get next, i really need ideas i have no clue what engines are good to buy?!

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/09/2018 at 18:50, Shudson said:

2 months can be a long time for a plug; just one run too hot can cause deterioration.

Off topic but I never changed the plug on my Savage 21 that was used daily from when I bought it new when they came out to when I changed the engine in 2013 lol.

• 7 months later...

I have this engine it is a nightmare, the pinging you hear before it settles is the high speed to lean, once the throttle closes it takes time for the low speed to kick in as the fuel in the crack case needs to clear out, think your low speed is too rich. Set the idle gap to about 1mm or a bit less, 0.8mm, let the engine idle for ten second and boot it to full throttle, if plumes of smoke comes out and the car struggles to pull away it too rich. I find there’s a fine line for the high speed, a tad too lean and it won’t settle to idle right, tad too rich and there’s no performance. Also check of air leeks, crack seal, carb seal, needle seals, fuel tank seals, all can cause issues.