• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

ZMR250 Upgrade computer

CrazeUK

Hey Guys.

I have a ZMR250 i purchased off here ages ago.

To be honest i flew it once, it was too unstable so made me nervous.

I have decided to try to get it air bourne, however i think i need to replace the existing kk2.1.5 flight controller with updated firmware.

The current set up is:

ZMR250 frame 

4 x 2100kv motors 

kk2.1.5 flight controller with updated firmware (I will supply the USB lead for this too) 

Transmitter: Flysky FS-CT6B  

Turnigy 2.2 2200mah lipo 

So, ideally i want a flight controller that:

1. Has automatic stablisation / hover 

2. Has GPS

Basically, i am a bit chicken when flying drones and things as i dont want them to fly away or crash unless i hit something.

Any reccomendations?

i cant think of any flight controllers that include a gps as standard. however.....

if you take a look at the inav project there are a number of flight controllers and gps modules you can use.

the kk2 boards are super old these days and even back then they were a bit rubbish. if you want a cost effective flight controller the matek f405 series are brilliant and easy to solder. they also can run betaflight, inav etc so easy to setup...

however no 2...

im pretty sure you can connect your transmitter to your computer and use it on a simulator which will really help to get you the raw skills needed to pilot a 250 quad. so might be worth looking at that, i personally use lift off and velocidrone and they really helped me get to grips with flying without costing me a fortune in parts....

hope that help

I agree, use a simulator to get hang of the controls

GPS drones are no fun, they are only good if you want to do photography or long range

i would get a Matek F4 board, flash betaflight 3.4 and use the acro trainer mode or stick to angle (self level) mode

but definitely get in as much sim time as you can, even the pro pilots still use sims in between real flights to keep up the muscle memory

post a photo of your quad and we can help with any builds/upgrades

Hey guys.
Thanks for the advice so far.

I'll definitely do the Sim time as advised.

I think with GPS I like the idea of having an easy fight on some days or add a camera later.

One option was to sell it, and just buy a mavic pro or something. Obviously totally different price range.

Which F4 board? F405 standard or mini?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

any quad in angle mode is easy to fly

do you fly FPV with goggles or line of sight?

use a low pitch props like the 5" Dal5040c, they will give better battery life and finer control over the throttle, and in betaflight you can lower the rates which affects the sensitivity of the stick movements

the standard 405 is great

what esc and motor size are you using? also are you using 3s or 4s lipos?

Hi Mo.

I fly line of sight.  The ZMR250 was an impulse purchase.  I guess maybe if it is upgradable i would like to fly FPV. at some point.

The other components are:

Speed controller: Simon 3Amp

Motors: Marspower MX1806-2280KV

Lipo:  Turnigy 2.2 20-30c 3S

Frame: ZMR250

Props: 3 Blade

Reciever: FLySky FS-R6B

Edited by CrazeUK

Just read your spec list, i agree not really worth upgrading, for a 5" quad you want at least 2205 size motors

diatone do some good ready made quad with fpv camera included like the GT series the GT-M3 and M5 are great, they will need a receiver adding depending on if you use flysky, frsky, spektrum etc, 

going fpv can be expensive but its a one time cost

goggles cost between 100-400 quid, don't bother with fpv monitors that you mount on the transmitter

also helps if you have a group to fly with as you can learn off each other and setup small race tracks

get some sim time, if after a couple of weeks you think its for you then spend some money

Just read your spec list, i agree not really worth upgrading, for a 5" quad you want at least 2205 size motors
diatone do some good ready made quad with fpv camera included like the GT series the GT-M3 and M5 are great, they will need a receiver adding depending on if you use flysky, frsky, spektrum etc, 
going fpv can be expensive but its a one time cost
goggles cost between 100-400 quid, don't bother with fpv monitors that you mount on the transmitter
also helps if you have a group to fly with as you can learn off each other and setup small race tracks

get some sim time, if after a couple of weeks you think its for you then spend some money
Thanks.
Question is, what do I do with this one now?
Lol

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

you can keep the frame for future builds or keep it and fly it line of sight

just to add, i dont think your transmitter supports ibus

ibus and sbus are serial links between the receiver and FC, most modern FC use this

i think if you wanted to upgrade it's going to be new kit all round

this hobby ain't cheap but great fun

new kit will cost about

£100 for a FrSky QX7 - this is an entry level transmitter but its awesome, you really don't need anything better than this

£200 for some aomway commander googles, cheaper than fatsharks but they are good

£150 for a diatone GT series quad

£100 for a lipo charger and some lipo batteries

• 4 weeks later...

Hey thanks for all the advice and comments.

Okay So i will fly this line of sight for now.  If i start using it more.. i will definitely look at upgrading.  Come to think of it, would you go custom build or something like DJI Mavic Pro 2?

So my next question is - is there any one around Manchester / Stevenage with the know how to help me get my current one air born?