• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

OBR/RCMK TWIN OR ALX 48/SUPER 50 for Baja

Danzzz88

OBR /RCMK TWIN VS ALX 58/SUPER 50  

7 members have voted

1. 1. OBR /RCMK TWIN VS ALX 58/SUPER 50

• OBR /RCMK TWIN
    • ALX 58/SUPER 50

I have both motors 60cc and 48cc (standard) and I can say the Alx 48 is a better buy of the two: Pros, nice deep sound, it can be ported, it can be upgraded to 71cc, nice big adjustable  clutch, very reliable never overheated mine. Cons, not as fast as the 60cc.

OBR twin Pros sounds good too, can do some port work, revs high.  Cons comes with standard 54mm clutch ( but ALX has a huge 70mm adjustable clutch for it-yep I brought one and I’ll install soon) will over heat Very Quick (I normally do about 4-5 passes then shut her off) 

In that Vid I’m not sure what’s wrong with that BZM 50 I have 3 50cc ( 1 Rc50, 2 BZM with Alx head and clutches) and that the slowest BZM 5O I’ve seen, I done 74.9 with mine in a stock Losi 5T (on-road)  

now the alx super 50 will be my next choice after I get the killer ALX Super 85 Malossi Ported 

I have a few vid on you tube Moor RC ( can’t figure out how to upload them here)

Hi mate, just want to say you have some great vids up and nice cars!! I just copy the youtube url into the textbox, seems to work for me.

I wasn't sure what the 60cc you mentioned was until I saw your vids but I guess it's the twin? I'm just used to seeing mostly 57cc ....  So is the Twin faster than the ALX 48 in your opinion, are they both tuned as good as they will be? If so that settles the deal for me lol. Jokes aside, there is numerous reasons I want a Twin over a big bore, firstly it may sound dumb but I would probably start with the RCMK twin and I like the fact I can split the cost for the engine, pipes and mounting hardware separately, though the install kit is ridiculously overpriced. Secondly I can always change the heads to better ones for cheap as and when they go unlike the big bores, it will be future proof and have spares for a long time to come and the actual engine itself is less than half the price of a big bore. I love the sound. I like the fact I may be able to custom craft a 5b rollcage to fit, something impossible with a big bore, I want a buggy cos I think they look better,  all the cool blingy parts on display like they should be!! I think the twins look cool in their own right and they seem to spool up super fast. But the biggest of all is even though they seem powerful, they seem well packaged and low down and generate their power through controllable revs as opposed to yanking the truck up from too much torque ,  I'm not going to be left with a car that is top heavy only good for lawn darting and handles like a bus, it seems the only way with big bores to make them handle even remotely reasonable is to plonk a wheelie bar on and £300 worth of BRP's .

The other option though was to just wait and try an SCZ first since they are so good for the money, but I know I will be wanting more later and by the time I buy a pipe, turtle top brace ect and carb, I'm still looking at £600-700 on that, whereas for £1000 I can get the twin, install kit and pipes. The other thing I was reading was that although these billet cases look all nice and blingy, that cast crank cases are better because they atomise the fuel better, so it seems these big engines you are paying about £1500 for a bling case that adds no performance and about £500's worth of scooter parts. Don't get me wrong I appreciate the machine work and their is no doubting their performance, but for something that is so expensive, so niche that who knows where rcmax and alx will be in a few years time and something that tbh is damn too big and heavy for the car and turns it into an offroad dragster. it seems that if there was an ALX 200cc twin that weighed 10kg someone will buy it and put it in for the sake of it but the fact is I just want a car that I can bash and have fun with but will impress me with its speed. If I just wanted the ultimate bragging rights in horsepower I'd just put dual Lehner 3080's at 12s each in a 5ive and have a 50HP 1/5  haha. If there was an engine say 45

cc from ALX but was the size of say the Rovan 45cc and could actually fit in the buggy and didn't weight as much as a brick I would buy that, but unfortunately it seems even the ALX 40cc is twice the size of say a rovan 45. 

I love the sound of this guys Twin, when he revs it, it sounds awesome!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1SVEyrd7Ac

this is my friends twin and my obr 34. Yes they’re mean and you’re right in all that you posted. Yes mine is 57cc as opposed to 60cc I mentioned. Yes they can be modded up but that Alx 48 is nice, yes bigger and heavier than the twin. 

My 1st run Alx 71 Hybrid yep need a wheelie bar but so does the twin too

here’s one on my twins 57cc 

here’s my Alx 48 non ported

https://youtu.be/mvD3SV_24m8

• 2 months later...

Well I went all out, got this rolex of RC engines coming tomorrow. In the end I saw the 40 GT by RCMAX come out and thought that engine is just ideal, a chance to own an RCMAX for a great price and have the option to upgrade it later on....well after a lot of decisions and countless emails with Mike who I have to say has been extremely supportive and even give me the option to pay the engine off in instalments through Paypal which made it much easier, as I got close to paying it off I decided in the end to just go ahead, pay a bit extra and get what I truly want, an RCMAX 71... I think this will definitely be the antidote for my desire of having a Twin..

An absolute work of art, Mike even customised the cylinder for me free of charge. I was gobsmacked when he sent me the photo. I can't praise that guy enough for his patience, support and honesty throughout the whole decision making process. So glad he recommended the standard factory finish of the crankcase and billet head too, as I was thinking of getting it anodised but seeing a good clear picture of the engine like this makes me think I made the right choice :-)

MY RCMAX .jpg

• Like 1

Very nice mate, lovely looking engine that ?

I hope you have beefed your drive train up cus your gonna need it..Lol and you will need brp wheels