• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

looking for help with FPV monitor

Hi, I’m looking for a smaller 5.8G monitor, something like 5”. It Needs to be bright and as high resolution as available, 1080p if possible but looking at whats out there 1024x600 seems more likely. Some of the goggles have 5” 1080 screen inside and I was begging to think about buying a set of them and seeing if I could get the monitor out, or modify them so they just hang the monitor in front of my eyes but with the rest of the goggles cut away so I don’t loose my peripheral vision.

I’m building a mix of a Steadicam and gimbal camera support system and thought the best people to ask about this would be over here.

On 12/17/2017 at 13:18, bob's last stand said:

Hi, I’m looking for a smaller 5.8G monitor, something like 5”. It Needs to be bright and as high resolution as available, 1080p if possible but looking at whats out there 1024x600 seems more likely. Some of the goggles have 5” 1080 screen inside and I was begging to think about buying a set of them and seeing if I could get the monitor out, or modify them so they just hang the monitor in front of my eyes but with the rest of the goggles cut away so I don’t loose my peripheral vision.

I’m building a mix of a Steadicam and gimbal camera support system and thought the best people to ask about this would be over here.

What system are you using, ie. vtx? Unless you're going for the new digital HD kit, no point getting a 1080 monitor. Analogue video just isn't good enough quality. The difference between what my action cam captures v's the dvr on the vrx is night and day.

The box on the bottom of the gimbal has a HDMI in for the video out from the camera so it'll be a high re signal going in and the box is listed as a 5.8G wireless video system. I'm really not up on the whole wireless thing. It changes the signal to an analogy one I'm guessing but dose that mean it's no longer HD? Do wireless systems not use 1080p?

Edited by bob's last stand

The problem with standard analogue transmission setups is the bandwidth. Traditionally compressing a HD signal small enough to send it over analogue equipment caused quite bad lag and quality loss so not great for fpv. If you're sending/receiving across analogue kit, you'll need to convert the signal back to HD and I have no experience of that, if it is indeed possible.

All of my stuff is analogue, even the 1080 action cam outputs to analogue via mini usb. I would be surprised if you could get a true 1080 signal going HD>analogue>HD but I don't know. The only way I know is to use the Connex stuff but tbh, I haven't looked into it recently.

Thanks for the help Smoothy. I spent some time calling RC shops today and I think I understand better what’s going on. In film production the wireless video is always digital and I just presumed this was how the box on my gimbal worked but I think now it converts it to analogue and transmits on the 5.8G frequency.

The wireless video systems for video are a few thousand for a basic one and ramps up into many thousands of pounds as soon as you buy a known brand or more versatile systems. My gimbal only cost £1500 so it makes sense it would not be digital. Though I keep finding these wireless systems for the home for a few hundred quid based around HDMI that transit 1080 high def video signal so they must be digital too?

Anyhow I just didn't understand/ was not aware of this difference between analogue and digital transmission.

Yeah that's what it comes down to, the transmission method. 5.8 will handle plenty of data, just like a wifi router but I don't know if there's a limitation on distance or if it's just a licence thing. I presume the cheaper one's you've been seeing claiming to transmit 1080 HD will do it but I don't know how well.

This is the stuff recently launched for FPV:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/rosight-system-r-fcc.html?___store=en_us

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/ion-system-t-r-camer-fcc.html?___store=en_us

I didn't look into it as it was 100's of £'s for just the basic kit. If I'd have seen it reduced to what HK are selling it for now, I might have given it a go. Saying that, I don't know how well it works or the reception it has received so far. I don't think it's had mass market take up, most of us are still making do with 700tvl analogue images. As I say, the action camera I have records excellent 1080 video internally but the stuff recorded on the vrx is not that nice to watch back!

That looks very interesting, I’m not sure if I can use just the receiver to get a better image or if it’s only going to work with the whole system: camera, transmitter and receiver bundle. I might look a bit daft with 5 antenna when the screen in never more than about 3 feet from the camera and at the price there are other digital solutions though this would be much lighter. If all I need is the receiver then it may be something to look at.