• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Ecx ruckus upgrade

Williams_88

Hello let me start by saying I'm a newbie to rc and I have a ecx ruckus 4wd 1/10, I'm looking to make it faster now I've owned it a few months and got bored of the speed, so I've decided to upgrade a few parts the battery I'm going lipo decided on a 5000 mah 3s 65c battery, but what I wanted to know is what is the best motor and esc to get and what pinion would go with that, most I find are for 2wd cars so thought I would ask here thanks in advance

The ESC and motor choice will link to the battery because if you want to run 3s you'll need a fairly low kv motor. You also want to get an ESC that is built with 3s use in mind. Many 1/10th esc's are intended for 2s operation, but rated to allow 3s use. In practice many become unreliable used that way. Gearing can then be selected once you've sorted the motor and voltage - oh and how you want to perform since gearing is a trade off between top speed and acceleration. 

You can use the same motors etc as 2wd cars do, better in fact as 4wd means you can actually put that power down. The price is heat since pushing a 4wd is harder work and also the motor tends to get less airflow. 

Edited by Si Coe

OK thanks for the reply, so when you say low kv on the motor would you consider 2200 low kv or would 3300 be OK, did forget two things in first comment battery is going to be 11 volt and I want acceleration over top speed, is there any way to combat the heat with a fan or clever placed vents in the shell 

I'd consider both motors low kv myself because I normally run motors in the 6000-7500 kv region (on 2s).  3300kv is a decent number for 2  and 3s use whereas 2200 is really 3s only as too slow on 2s. 

I don't know the final drive ratio for an Ecx Ruckus so can't suggest the right pinon just yet. It's a good idea to have a few though as you may want to change it, especially if you swap from say tarmac to grass. 

Heat is best controlled by gearing correctly. Fans and vents help, but only a little.

Check out goolrc on ebay they have lots of options. I put one of these in a 2wd 3500kv. I consider a medium based on traxxas vxls variety of uses. At £27 i couldnt be happier its flawless so far but only two packs in. 

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282598254986

Im upgrading my daughters ruckus 2wd. But whilst reading i think i saw the ruckus 4x4 has minimal upgrade parts available. The 2wd has afew now it said and i found some on Asiatees. But i looked and nothing for the 4x4. 

Edited by RCbutcher