• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Carisma GT24 Owners

johninderby

23 minutes ago, A Return said:

I had an idea for the VW body, but before i had a chance to try it another idea got in the way.

VodkaWagen Jelly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:@.@:

Tomorrow will be interesting.......

P1050401.JPG

Brilliant :D Although I'd have thought all that water content will add considerable weight to your buggy ;)

I stripped mine down again tonight to see what I could do with the slipper. I've read about people flipping it round and fitting an o-ring to make it more like a larger scale slipper but no reports on how well it held up over time. I decided adding a little preload to the spring would be a better way to go so I removed the E-clip, added a thicker spacer and reassembled. I can't believe the difference it's made! I did a carpet test before changing anything and it was slipping on 1s, with a 2 cell fitted it just made a lot of noise. I repeated the test once I was done and no slipping, just lots of wheelies :) I'd like it to slip a little so maybe a slightly thinner spacer would've been better, but that's for another day me thinks.

8 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

Oh and I lost an E-clip :( I've searched the entire kitchen floor and the little **** has well and truly disappeared! Can anyone tell me what size they are so I can order a replacement?

Cheers.

Fortunately the whole slipper unit is only £1.23 not that helps you this weekend.

Maplins does a 300 piece e-clip assortment although the smallest are 1.6mm and 3.2mm.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/300-part-e-clip-assortment-n01ct

Well I've found a use for those 2 cell batteries, the skatepark is where they belong! The little GT24 came alive :) It's a shame it was so busy today so I couldn't really open it up but I did manage to put two full packs through it. There's lots of video to go through so I'll post something up later.

20161224_095327_zpsa1pkcq2t.jpg

As you can see, the shell is held on by a cable tie in this pic, that's because the velcro was positioned right over where the chassis separates so I had to remove it and it lost it's stick. All sorted now :)

20161224_114814_zpsr3tsn6x3.jpg

The slipper mod worked perfectly, no more nasty grinding noise every time I accelerate.

4 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Quick run around the car park to test the new shocks on rough tarmac. Ran nice and smooth with no drama and no bouncing around.

John

Looks very smooth. Would you say there's a definite improvement over stock? I hate the thought of losing ground clearance but it might be a trade off I have to make.

Do notice that the wheels stay on the ground much better. Just much smoother overall. Although ground clearance is reduced from about 13mm to 9 or10mm the shocks don't seem to bottom out as easily. Shock travel is actually about the same.  There is a simple solution to the ride height though. Just make up a plate to go across the stock shock mount holes and make new lower shock mounting holes in it. Probably will do this on the rally.

John

Increasing rally ground clearance

Found that by moving the lower ends of the shocks to the inside mounting holes gains nearly 2mm of ground clearance. 2mm may not sound a lot but with the rally's very limited ground clearance it will make a real difference. Simple enough job although the tiny screws are incredibly exasperating to get started into the inner holes. Much easier with someone to hold the chassis for you while you're moving the screws.  ;)

Ground clearance is now the same as the MT with the Losi shocks.  :thumbsup:

John

GT24-Ground-Clearance.jpg