• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

total novice, need help, tamiya experts get in here please :D

Berzerk

35 minutes ago, ChrisT said:

Yep, wrong glue. That's for plastics such as their static models. What you need is CA glue.

Vitalbond Tyre Bonder Glue

Racing RC Car Ultra-CA High Quality Tyre Super Glue 20g gel glue no dripping!

From experience, and only having used the Vitabond on Modelsport, I would be inclined to buy the gel type glue. The vitabond sticks well, but it's very runny and can get you in a world of :censored:  :cussing2:

thanks Chris! lol good tip about the gel glue also cheers!, just found some of this in a drawer, wondering if it would be ok to use i can get some proper gel stuff? It says Cyanoacrylate on the back which i guess means CA glue

aae7346f_19a5_4da6_883d_44c5ddbe18a2.jpg 

That should do fine. Most so-called tyre glues are rebadged superglue - cyanoacrylate is cyanoacrylate at the end of the day.

I usually use Loctite or its Pratley equivalent on my tyres, and it works perfectly well.

I prefer the runny stuff to the gel. It is trickier to work with, but it flows around the rim via capillary action and IMO gives a more even bond as a result.

• Like 1

ah thanks Pilot!, i knew this loctite would come in handy for something lol, and yea i suppose it boils down to whatever works best for you regarding glue thickness, i'll give the loctite a whirl and see how it goes, thanks again guys!

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys, i thought i'd finish the thread off with a video of how the bmw turned out with the new motor, i have to say its an absolute untamed BEAST with the speed passion triple M 10.5t 4000kv and 55t spur 25t pinion the top speed is scary, i have to put the power down very gradually otherwise things will go south very fast as you will see in the video unfortunately lol, i think i might try to soften the damping in the rear suspension to try stop it loosing traction so much, 2s lipo adds sooo much torque compared to nimh its great, anyone still using nimh power packs i'd highly recommend moving to a good reliable brand of lipo and learning how to take care of them safely it's definitely worth it!, 

unfortunately i lost control and drove the car into the kerb at 4:00, the car wouldnt respond after that, it was a pretty hard smack and when i took the body shell off the top section of the ESC had completly seperated from the base but i clipped it back on, disconnected and reconnected the battery and it was up and running again! 

1:57 gives you an idea of the speed its capable of, thats not even top speed.

some pictures of the damage from that days run, was worth it though!

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1142.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

thanks folks <3

Edited by Berzerk
  • Like 1

Looks like you have it running well!

I wouldn't worry about the bodywork - the damage is an excellent excuse to get another shell, which will no doubt come out even better since you have had the practice of doing your last two. :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, XV Pilot said:

Looks like you have it running well!

I wouldn't worry about the bodywork - the damage is an excellent excuse to get another shell, which will no doubt come out even better since you have had the practice of doing your last two. :)

cheers XV Pilot, thats a good way of looking at it, i really wasnt happy with the way this Shell turned out anyway, I'll definetly be getting 1 or 2 more shells of the E30 M3!