• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Engine help needed please... Can anyone help me in the East Midlands??

Sillypig

Hello everyone, used to be into rc a few years ago, now thanks to eBay l just bought myself a Hpi maverick blackout st truck!! It's only been used for 3 tanks of fuel by the guy l bought it off & he started it when I collected it.

Went to use it for the first time yesterday, and put choke on, pulled the pull stater 3 times, choke off & it wouldn't start. tried for about 20 mins and nothing.

sorry to ask on my first post, but is there someone local to me that would be willing to help me please & get it going?? Willing to pay of course.

Always go for the simple things first.

Take spark plug out, rest it in the cylinder head, and test you have a spark when pulling the starter cord?

If you have a spark, check (with a torch) is the piston head wet with petrol? (I.e. has it flooded)?

If you have a spark and the engine is not flooded, most likely to be an airleak or problem with the carb.

Report back, as we need more info before advice can be given.

Opps I'm in Leicestershire!

yes I primed first, plus thought it was flooded, so cleaned & checked the spark plug and looked down to the piston and it didn't look flooded.....

Thanks for for a couple of pms so far, 

If it is built into the receiver that is a failsafe not a killswitch a fail safe should not stop it starting.

Right this is how I start my one:

1/ Choke on and then prime

2/ Pull untill it tries to start

3/ Choke off pull untill it starts.

If that don`t work do what Bunny Basher says  ^^^^^

Edited by Ian w

I've got an ST and had similar issue with starting.

Mine was producing a good spark, and was getting fuel to the cylinder, but an airleak in the carb (diaphram) resulted in it being a bitch to start.

Replaced the carb (as I had one spare from another car) = started first time.

But before you go swapping or replacing parts check you are getting a good spark to start with.

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Sillypig said:

Mountsorrel, in between Leicester & Loughborough. Where do you use your 5T??

Anywhere where there's a large scale off road national. Its a racer not a basher :) and unfortunately I don't know where there's any good bash spots in Leicester.

On 2/14/2016 at 17:25, Sillypig said:

Hello everyone, used to be into rc a few years ago, now thanks to eBay l just bought myself a Hpi maverick blackout st truck!! It's only been used for 3 tanks of fuel by the guy l bought it off & he started it when I collected it.

Went to use it for the first time yesterday, and put choke on, pulled the pull stater 3 times, choke off & it wouldn't start. tried for about 20 mins and nothing.

sorry to ask on my first post, but is there someone local to me that would be willing to help me please & get it going?? Willing to pay of course.

got a lot of spares for maverick st and mt...

got a full set of unused st wheel rims...no tyres or bead locks but still new....never know when wheels needed..