• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Radient Reaktor advice

Ultraburner™

Hi,

I'm very new to RC my other half bought me a car for Xmas. I fancied going for a brushless set up so purchased the Radient combo.

To be honest I know next to nothing about RC so here's what's happening. I rigged up the brushless kit but after just a few minutes the car goes dead slow and 3 audible beeps are heard every time I go to nail it. It's a 1800 battery (I don't even know what that means)

After reading the manual I get the LVC function, is this what's happening and can I turn it off or will I fry something?

Figured I'd ask here, thanks in advance.

Edited by Ultraburner™

The ESC is set to lipo mode, you need to change the setting to NiMH to prevent the lvc kicking in.

I would also consider getting larger Mah packs for longer runtime, or, swap to lipo batteries instead.

If you have the facilities to use and store them safely, the performance advantages of LiPo are hard to ignore. However if safety is a concern, a large-capacity NiMH can give comparable runtimes - only at a slightly lower speed.

overlander rc6 http://www.modelsport.co.uk/overlander-rc6-vsp-80watt-7a-output-ac-dc-charger/rc-car-products/379060

and find sum lipos what will fit in ur rc/battery tray ect http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?cwhl=GB&idCategory=86&v=&sortlist=P&LiPoConfig=2&CatSortOrder=desc I`m guessing 2s will b what u need.....buy the biggest mah/c rating ones what will fit in ur rc and u can afford....all the sizes r on the page....:thumbsup:

Edited by evssv

On 22/1/2016 at 1:04 PM, Ultraburner™ said:

Will lipo mean faster, does it mean a new charger too? Sorry about the questions.

Cheers for the feedback BTW.

Hiya ultra burner and welcome to MSUK forum.

i myself have a reactor setup to, and i run next the exactly the same battery as you to ( i just drive very very slowly with a rock racer truck)

what your seeing is a term called low voltage cutoff. it kick in on most rc speed controls when the battery reaches 7.2 - 7.4v .
it is a feature used for new lithuim batterys. they come with a little extra voltage but a bigger kick in power release than our older batterys we have.
if you decide to use a new Lithium battery you would very possibly need a new battery charger to.

we can turn off the low voltage cut off so we get more from our battery, but when our older type batterys run low the car will start to act funny.
you may find it goes very slow, the steering goes all funny and will not work well, or the truck just has a mind of its own. to combat this we tend to turn off our truck as soon as we notice a remarked drop in speed - power output. its nothing to worry about just a recharge and off you go again.

NOW lets give you steps to set your LVC to the off mode buddy. 

with your car battery plugged in turn on your hand controller.
on your ESC hold down the setup button and at the same time turn on the power switch.
the LED light will blink in a pattern ( 1 flash off 2 flashes lipo - three flashes nimh ) so if you see three flashes your lvc is set to nimh mode.
Now Press the setup button to cycle trhough the modes for the one you want ie 1 flash = off and that is it you have set the lvc. 
now click the esc power switch off and the esc will store the new setting for you. 

My battery is a 2000mah, so im around the same power output as you ( i run my LVC off )
the manual for the radient does say to only have the LVC in off mode if you have a battery bigger than 3000mah, but to be honest and fair
ignore that part its not exactly true whats said the instructions book.

Hope this helps you  kill that lvc and gives you a few extra mins of playtime

Edited by Tamiyacowboy
  • Like 1