• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lipos into storage - possible issues?

granty

Hi all,

I'm wanting to put my lipos into storage as the nights are drawing in.

I've been using my Core UAC-50 to do this, setting it to storage mode, setting to 1.0a and setting the battery type.

Everytime I do this, the charger gets to 2 hours and says "Time". When I come to recharge, it takes 5 mins or so to get to full.

Am I doing something wrong?

James

What's the voltage at time,?...should b around 3.80v per cell. ....

do you know how I can tell? 

I'm thinking your charger is timing out with a 2hr safety limit.

1A charge rate may take 4-5hrs for a 5000mah pack.

set storage at 1c .  Perhaps your charger has a gutless discharge? 

I see. Maybe it's that then. Basically sometimes I charge all four packs with intentions of going out and don't get out so sometimes they can be fully charged. Am I better using a discharge function then? 

if ur not going out....the beest way would b to jus run them down a bit in the rc....up n down the street...kitchen ect....lol....then they wont have far to go to storage voltage......u got a volt checker mate?? my overlanders used to take ages sum times on my 6s bricks to storage charge em.......u can also up the time limit on the charger aswell....20151026_152019_zpscotco1w1.jpg

hobbyking volt chcker...very handy

Edited by evssv

That charger can only discharge at 5watts max, so a 2s lipo will only discharge at about 0.7 of a amp so it will take a long time to get to storage voltage from fully charged or from flat. What cell lipos have you got??

And it does sound like its timing out, scroll through the menus and up the limit. 

do you know how I can tell? 

I see. Maybe it's that then. Basically sometimes I charge all four packs with intentions of going out and don't get out so sometimes they can be fully charged. Am I better using a discharge function then? 

Don't use the discharge function use the storage function.