• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Built this ... doesn't really fit in a category, lol

TurboFurball

I'd bought a couple of bits so I could make something for the Production Car Trials competition that never happened, wanted to use them for something so put this together ...

HzWOf1T.jpg

Bycw2rq.jpg

It's a Sand Scorcher body on a Sand Shaker TT02-T chassis, all stock (25t motor, CVA dampers, 2s lipo, cheapy buggy wheels), the first test run was on some crawler wheels and they turned out to be too grippy, flipping over at the slightest twitch ... I'm looking forward to running it on the buggy wheels this weekend if it's dry :)

It's turned out absolutely tiny, but should be a good running companion for my friend's '90s Tamiya Hummer.

(EDIT: think I've got the photos sorted now)

Edited by TurboFurball
  • Like 1

i know what it is missing. see that rear end its kinda opened up , usually the old v-dubs have that tear pull down on the rear sweep or a kicker fin boot flash.

now what your missing is the eyecandy check this link out and be jaw punched by the tabletop as you drool ove rthe ultimate tamiya vw body accsessory 

VW 3d Printed air cooled beetle engine with bay plate

Considered a diy stealth mount for the rear, to remove the foam blocks?

I might reduce the size of the foam, but I'm not really keen on stealth mounts - keeping it simple ;)

i know what it is missing. see that rear end its kinda opened up , usually the old v-dubs have that tear pull down on the rear sweep or a kicker fin boot flash.

now what your missing is the eyecandy check this link out and be jaw punched by the tabletop as you drool ove rthe ultimate tamiya vw body accsessory 

VW 3d Printed air cooled beetle engine with bay plate

lol, once I've run it for a bit I'll add something at the back and a little lightbar/bumper at the front.  Ideally I'd pop a V8 in there, or maybe just some kind of Monster Beetle style cover if I'm lazy.  Don't want to rush that though, I need to find out where it gets snagged on things and how rough a time extra parts will have - it would be nice to be able to add some drivers or something, too :)

In which case, how about this:

Pop a  body clip on the lowest post hole, put foam on that then place the shell on. If it sits too low, go up a hole until you are happy with the levels then pop clips on the outside.

Doesn't get much simpler than that in my book ;)

There's foam on the underside too, it's just the body's curve means it doesn't line up with clips ... I'll reduce it down to the minimum size that still protects the body in due course ;)

have you thought about drilling the mount holes at the dame angle as the body so you can remove the external foam blocks all together

allan

• Like 1

How about stick with the foam but slap a 911 style 'Whale tail' wing on the top to make use of it. Would sorta suit the style of the rest anyway.

• Like 1

Well, it had it's maiden voyage today, and I managed to completely destroy one of the wheels by coming off a (small!) jump at a canny angle :(

Also, it still has too much lateral grip, it rolled over at anything on grass.  I'm considering getting the shocks, towers, etc, to turn it into a TT02-B so it's more like an AWD Blitzer buggy ...

Unfortunately the TT02-T only has short little suspension arms, I think those would probably bind on the chassis.  Having looked up the price of conversion to TT02-B I think I'll probably see about putting this chassis on the road ... I kinda fancy getting the Hobbyking Viper, and popping the Bug shell on it in a Mad Max kinda way - I'll do something with it over xmas :)

• Like 1