• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Best Bodges - following on

Candyman

The "bodges" competition got me thinking last week, I knew I had done some top bodges over the years but couldnt quite rememebr when. Then it struck me! about 8 years ago, before brushless was a big thing and long before the rustler vxl, my friend and I bought back my original traxxas rustler. I originally bought this rustler in Florida in 1997, yes 18 years ago. It came with bushes, wich I changed for bearings and didnt have a clutch, but it was a cheap upgrade. After a few years I sold it to a friend (Mark) who sold it to another friend (Tony), who raced it for a bit, then sold it to yet another friend (Mike) where it stayed, unused for many years. So fast forward to 2007, brushless was just starting to be a thing and me and Tony decided to buy it for a pitance and get it going as a fast basher for as little money as possible.

I do have a picture of it when it was shiney and new but I will have to upload that later on.

So 2007 and here it is:

r1.jpg

only

Some top quality workmanship bodging going on there :)

Seriously though it's often the requirement to keep costs down and reuse kit you already have that brings out some spectacular bodges :)

The rear diff was pretty tired, so I filled it with blue tac, shortly after this the gears stripped:

7.jpg

Rather than go to the expense of buying a diff I made up a steel rod with a screw in it so it would catch inside the diff and just fitted 2 outdrives either side, 1 locked diff, sort off.

12.jpg

13.jpg

would you buy this 2nd hand? I dont think so:

16.jpg

cable tie breakage

19.jpg

The rear shocks didnt hold up to the jumps we were doing, so we added more shocks!

20.jpg

Oh yes and the tower broke in a 2nd place

23.jpg

Only just noticed, this is a pair of losi shocks and a pair of schumacher shocks on the rear, we used whatever we had laying about

18.jpg

The heaviest part of the truck was the nimh's, with the constant bashing they kept flying out so we upgraded the battery hold down to a bit of L shape aluminium.

24.jpg

Rear wishbone broke in 2 places, fixed with 2 cable ties, no problem!

28.JPG

How did all this damage occur you may ask, well here are a few action shots, ahhhh the memories. Tony moved away a few years after this and I dont see him much anymore, miss you man.

30.JPG

29.JPG

10tea.jpg

32.JPG

21.jpg

22.jpg

9shocks.jpg

1.jpg

more tea

chairs1low.JPG

broken car

33.JPG

waiting for cells to charge so we can get back to bashing!

chairs3low.JPG

this is a rare shot, the rustler actually made it all night without breaking!

31.JPG

The body shell, which was a Losi xxt item, was destroyed so we used a cardboard box!

36.JPG

34.JPG

35.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

With the gearbox pretty solid since I bodged the diff, the next weakest link was the driveshafts.

this sort of thing kept happening

37.JPG

38.JPG

This is a top bodge, the standard sliders were ruined. So I used losi XX axles fitted to the traxxas slider. The losi axle is imperial not metric......

39.JPG

...so I bodged the losi XX hub carrier on too!

41.JPG

This worked for a bit, then the slider let go

42.JPG

So we cable tied the driveshaft back together!

43.JPG

It worked if you accelerated slowly. When that broke I managed to fit 2 propshafts form a Tamiya Juggernaut 2

50.JPG

44.JPG

After that the bearing let go, we ran it for a couple of days with no bearing :)

45.JPG

We bashed pretty hard

46.JPG

Due to camber link holes and shock mounting holes breaking we were only left with a few places to mount the links, needless to say the geometry got a bit messed up

47.JPG

Cable ties again!

48.JPG

• Like 1

Hmm - cable ties ftw!

You guys should've entered them - made my cable tied tower look positively Aerospace quality repair.

what would we do without cable ties?!?....We'd b fudged...big time!!!I need to become a gold member I thk...Been here long enuff ... Edited by evssv

• 2 years later...
6 minutes ago, Candyman said:

I know this is an old topic  but I found some videos we shot of the bashing sessions. This was in the days before youtube, so I never uploaded them, I can do if anyone is even remotely interested.

days before u tube:o....was there such a time...:lol:.......:yes::yes:yes...yes we r:good:

Edited by evssv