• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

TL01 Question - Bruder Truck Project.

Pathaleon

I have had a bruder truck kicking around for a while which i bought with the intention of creating a racing/drift truck just for fun and maybe to show some touring cars up at the local track :)

I was thinking of basing it on a TL01 due to the thin middle part of the chassis although its a little too wide.

Does anyone know if arms from a different tamiya model will fit on it allowing me to reduce the width?

I did also consider a m0x chassis although that is not wide enough.

The bruder truck is about 170mm wide if someone could advise me on an alternate suitable chassis.

Owning both several TL01's and M03's and enough spares to build another of each. I know Tamiya did do a 'lengthened' M03 with wider suspension arms from the TL01 for there FF02 series. So to narrow a TL01, I'd probably look at using the suspension arms and drive shafts from a M03. With the hubs and steering being the same on both.

Edited by 84mini25

The TL01B is wider than the TL01, Pathaleon wants to narrow the track not widen it.

Also, the TL series don't have shock towers, there monocoque chassis so the shock mounting points are moulded in.

KingPin

Do you have any idea in the difference of length between the m03 and tl01 arms? So I can tell what result I will get.

It's a real shame the m03 isn't 4wd other one I could have just widened that 5mm either side.

As I had to make repairs to the M03 anyways, I thought I might swap the arms off one side over to the TL01.

Above.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/422/18555756082_9f0d7d9d28_z.jpg

Front.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/256/18560241385_de58de88a4_z.jpg

Rear.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/535/18555755762_924255d386_z.jpg

Effectively going from the TL01 width of 185mm to around 168mm of the M03. And the only parts I can see being needed if starting off with a roller of a TL01. Is, the M03 suspension arms, upper links, steering linkages and drives shafts, the rest would all be as per the TL01.

Edited by 84mini25

Well thank you very much for doing that really appreciate it.

Depending on the cost of the M03 parts I wonder if it would be worth buying both and selling a wide M03 or not.

It would be interesting to find out if the parts are in the same pack when it comes as a kit.

Need to find a TL01 that's not been shagged which is a task.

Edited by Pathaleon

what bruder truck is it ? 

the big 1/16th scanias and likes, or is it the landrover 1/16th etc etc. 

think tamiya scale trucks like the volvo scania etc etc (king hauler) 

thats what these bruder bodys are normally thrown onto.

the ones like the bruder jeep - landrover, these tend to be taken on by scalers

using smaller rc crawlers as the chassis and then mounting the cab respective.

just to show you a rough size for the difference, heres a landy review

garbage truck review , theres a huge scale difference even though both are 1/16th 

to move the wheels in even more you could run an offset rim, but there is chance the wheel rim will rub the steering link rod ends

and the tie rod ends on both front and rear. 

the landrover is more a 1/18th scale rc size if you think about it .

where as the garbage truck well thats more a tamiya 1/14th scale size give or take

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Its one of these:

dx-059_1z.jpgI don't have the trailer and I have detatched the cab from the base part of the tractor unit already. Cab width is 170mm and the TL01 is around 190mm wide hence I needed something narrower.

Edited by Pathaleon

only way is crawler wise its never going to fit a tl01 however hard you try. 

thats a ripe candidate for a ladder chassis rail. use a front tamiya truck axle 1:14th scale

then a rear tamiya dual axle leaf setup on the rear, one drive the other fake.

its how most of these bruder wagons are made into rc, using the tamiya truck parts as the driveline

As I had to make repairs to the M03 anyways, I thought I might swap the arms off one side over to the TL01.

Above.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/422/18555756082_9f0d7d9d28_z.jpg

Front.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/256/18560241385_de58de88a4_z.jpg

Rear.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/535/18555755762_924255d386_z.jpg

Effectively going from the TL01 width of 185mm to around 168mm of the M03. And the only parts I can see being needed if starting off with a roller of a TL01. Is, the M03 suspension arms, upper links, steering linkages and drives shafts, the rest would all be as per the TL01.

Any chance you could pop a tape measure around the centre part of the TL01 for me please? Height and Width of this section would be helpful!

f953179aa4.png

Edited by Pathaleon

only way is crawler wise its never going to fit a tl01 however hard you try. 

thats a ripe candidate for a ladder chassis rail. use a front tamiya truck axle 1:14th scale

then a rear tamiya dual axle leaf setup on the rear, one drive the other fake.

its how most of these bruder wagons are made into rc, using the tamiya truck parts as the driveline

I kinda want some power behind it though for drifting or something. The 3-Speed gearbox that is in my dads tamiya truck seems a bit fragile to me.

i was drifting in 2006 with a custom race prep chassis and a standard silver 27t motor.

you dont need super fast etc etc, its all about keeping the broken from grip and spinning.

usually we overdrive the rear diff and underdrive the front diff hence countersteer 1.5 - countersteer 2.0 countersteer 2.5

the numbers are the ratio of overdrive 

front wheels marked the same as a rear, and both are set pefectly to 12 oclock

when powered up and recorded in slowmo , the rear wheel in a 1.5 CS mod car will rotate

1.5 times compared to the fonts 1 rotation.

thats easy, you dont run a 3 speed box you grab a smaller say 1/18th scale transmission for a crawler.

add a smaller spur gear and a larger pinion , this changes the ratio of the box to a more speedy feel.

then its just a point of feeding that drive output to the rear diff axle via a traxxas or likes sliding shaft.

you take off the wheels from the bruder, and measure up the front width.

you then go to a tamiya site selling the trucks axles and get the lengths of those.

then you offer up your tape measure to the under chassis of bruder.

now there should be enough space to fit something like this : http://www.prices-model-trucks.co.uk/tamiya-114-reefer-trailer-steering-axle-23-p.asp

its a reefer steering trailer axle ( so should work upfront being slimlne none drive. )

then the rear drive axle would be something like this : http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=15017&p_catid=318&ratesortby=New#.VXV8kM9VhBc

no need to have posh metal it can be the cheaper plastic axles sets. 

these also come in a three group set where ALL 6x6 are drive so its a 6x6 drive 2wd steer + 4x4.

its how you tackle a build project like this, its finding axles that will fit, then using off set rims to help pull the boots under the

bodywork fenders.

This conversion has been done before use 0 offset wheels slimmer wheel hex or shave the ones fitted . You can buy Flaired drift arches an fit them to, or make your own from millieput. Think there's one floating on this forum that bigus built in the drift section unsure what chassis he used though