• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Changing ESC settings?

Hot Wheels

Just a quickie and I expect I'm being too cautious here, but hey ho.

So my 6S lipos turned up this morning and I was wondering should I switch settings on my ESC to 6S with my 5S plugged in as that is what is currently on, or should I stick the 6S in and then change it afterwards?

Or will it make bugger all difference as they're just switched on and not being thrashed so current draw etc should be minimal?

Just don't want to fry anything unnecessarily that's all.

Cheers

(also might have just made some orders from MSUK, Apex, RCMart and T-Bones, think my spare roller might be a runner sooner than I thought lol)

I'm running a Hobbywing XERun 150amp with 2100kv motor and now Turnigy Nanotech 65c 5000mah 6S =)

There is a Lipo Cell count setting on the ESC though as it is currently set to 5S as I'm sure I read they have issues detecting odd cell numbers so I changed it to 5S from autodetect when I got it.

Just want to check if there is a specific way of changing it up (or more specifically if there are any specific BIG NO's - don't want to go bang lol)

• Like 1

ie if I change it to 6S with a 5S battery plugged in will it bork it?

or if I plug the 6S in to change it over while it is set to 5S will it bork it?

Can't see it being a massive issue myself, but just want to check first, first example shouldn't be an issue as you switch the ESC off to confirm if using the set button to program (no prog card or link yet). second example shouldn't be an issue either as it will just unbalance the cells ever so slightly when changing settings then would be rectified on the next charge anyway (always balance charge).

Is my logic right that is the question as this is all new to me still so want to check my understanding of things is correct and that I've not missed a glaringly obvious mistake

If its a fully charged 5s mayb setting to 6s would just make the esc think its a flat 6s and if anything happens at all the lvc will kick in.

I'm just guessing from the auto detect issue doing that.

Don't fanny about with lipos.

Autodetect 'should' pick up the 6s, however, as you are going to have to enter programming mode to change the setting anyway, set it to 6s, then back to 5s depending on which pack you're using.

No need to worry, just enter programme mode with any suitable power source that will turn on esc.

• cell count is only for LVC activation.
  • If u set it for 6s and run a 4s LVC cuts in straight away.
  • If u set it for 4s and run 6s LVC  will bork your lipo below 3.0V per cell (big no no)
Edited by Deafty
  • Like 1

Yeah I know noj, not looking to run it on the wrong setting just want to know which battery to have plugged in when I switch it over =)

I've seen the aftermath of plenty of lipo fires on here, trying to avoid it myself lol

I got a hobbywing prog card u can borrow mate....if u need it that is...I may even have a spare one going. .. Edited by evssv