• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

SCTs... can they be made to jump properly?

All SCT owners will know what I'm talking about- the "parachute effect" when coming off a jump, when the air gets caught under the shell, causing inconsistent results time and again. I tried my XXX-SCT without the body at the local BMX track and it jumped beautifully. Like a big buggy. Easy, consistent, controllable. Put the body on and it all goes to hell!

I've heard of people cutting parts out of the SCT shell, to let the air "escape" while airborne, I've also heard of people sealing the underneath, leaving no gaps between the chassis sides and body shell.

Has anyone figured this out? Any tips at all? Just kind of ruins the experience a bit when the truck slow back-flips during some jumps and nose-dives during others! It seems just to be at the mercy of the wind.

Cheers!

Venting the bonnet seems to be the solution from what I've read. I only have the one SCT and that's a 16th scale so doesn't have the same problems. 

my sct jumps perfect, the vents are cut but its more down to the take off, im off the throttle as soon as the tyres leave the ground, then keep the nose from lifting to reduce any chance of the air catching the body

Thanks for the replies, chaps. I've decided to follow this guide:

http://www.vrcmag.com/free_articles/unparachute_sc/#/2/

As best I can.

I've cut 3 little vents on the top-rear of the front wings and reamed several little holes along the bottom of the windscreen. The bonnet of my XXX-SCT shell has no obvious vent-points, as seen in the guide, hence why I chose the wings.

At the rear. I've cut some larger vents out of the bed and removed the vertical back "wall" area.

Hopefully, these mods will help out. As far as driving goes, I'm always off-throttle when the truck gets airborne... due, in a large part, to the 3s power the thing runs at. It's a rocket! And, as mentioned, maybe it'll be less wheelie-prone with these mods.

Noj, you are definitely right, but I have not enough money nor space for a 5ive, currently. :(

Had companies actually made a roll cage set up and shells to suit, they'd fly properly.

I think this is part of the reason a 5ive does it so well, no windows, straight through airflow front to back, like the 1:1, with two rear arch pieces, nowt in between.

My 5SC (The beast) suffers a little like the 10th scales, having a 'full' shell with limited straight through airflow, makes for excellent 40mph wheelies and interesting landings..

The 5ive jumps gracefully every time. That is your answer, now, go and buy one :)

Strange because my 5ive nose dives off every jump, even with a spoiler across the rear. Maybe it's my rear shocks being too stiff, i haven't worked it out yet !

Triple A spoiler?

Stock front springs and reds on the rear. Mine is BL, so perhaps had a more even weight distribution. Only had one mis-landing, caused by an off line take off causing the truck to pitch forward...the crash that, with hindsight, may have killed the MGM ESC, lol!