• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

storage charge help

melvins913

Hey guys,
I used a lipo for the 1st time today after finishing my losi build, and I'm charging it back up but in storage mode as I won't be able to go out with the car again for a few days. The battery has been on charge for over 1 hour 30 mins, is this normal? The charger is saying that the sells are both at 3.84v and charging at 0.7a

Im using a overland rc6.

Cheers guys

Again, I would say that's about right. I'm really new to this hobby and lipo's but if I recall that's roughly where mine sit.

Someone will correct me fairly quickly if I'm wrong :)

Edited by everclear1984
  • Like 1

This Is what the screen says
IMG_0626.jpg
IMG_0625.jpg

I did cancel the charge and start it again after 90 mins just to make sure i had set it correct. As its sitting at 3.81 I might just take them off charge and leave them at that. The battery is stone cold so Im not sure if its actually charging it

This Is what the screen says

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

I did cancel the charge and start it again after 90 mins just to make sure i had set it correct. As its sitting at 3.81 I might just take them off charge and leave them at that. The battery is stone cold so Im not sure if its actually charging it

All of my batteries never even get warm during a charge. I've got some old Turnigy Nano-cells and Zippy Flightmax and they always stay cold.

I like the idea of setting the end voltage and running a balance charger, will the discharge the battery if needed?

• Like 1

I have this charger and if I remember rightly (its been a while since is used it) storage charging only charges at 1 or 2 amps and that's why it takes a lot longer.

correct..I have same charger aswell..storage charge if ur way off can take for ever. ..if there really low i charge like normal and stop around 3.70-80 volts Edited by evssv

I don't think it's just that the storage is at 1A.  I don't really have an answer (mine is the same) but it can easily get to 3.81 and sit there for an hour or more.  I store between that and 3.85.

I just balance charge it and stop it at around 3.85V - it's waaaay quicker than a storage charge.

Also, my fan is VERY noisy when I switch it on.  It groans a bit and goes quiet after 20 seconds or so.  It's done this from new - is anyone else's the same, or should I really get it swapped/fixed?

I think the storage charge is between 7.6 and 7.8 (maybe 7.8 volts*)

*please don't take this advice over your lipo charger's actual storage result

I have an accucel 6 which will storage charge or discharge a 2s lipo to 7.6 and sometimes it does take ages since the max is 1A either way (charge or dis). I am happy with it but don't mind occasionally stopping it a little high since I once read this idea that storage charge might be ok a little above 7.6